New Diver Perspective - How I Started

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

They can swim fast?? Bummer :)

I saw a very large one, but it wasn't hunting season and even if it was, I was a student and certainly wouldn't be allowed to do anything about it. It looked like an easy, tasty meal potential. I should've known there was a catch...

They sure can. They swim tail first and are lightning fast. They usually don't swim very far so if you're lucky enough to see where the went, they're yours.

I always moan and groan about lobsters being off limits in Maritime Canada for everyone except licensed commercial lobster fishermen. To add insult to injury, I swear-- a few years ago one swam up and bumped me on the leg. I looked back and he was settling back on the bottom free as a bird.

---------- Post added November 5th, 2015 at 08:16 PM ----------

E-learning talks about dead air space, but doesn't single out snorkel as a major contributor or needing special consideration with respect to dead air space. I guess if activity is strenuous CO2 might become a problem, although I'd expect "sucking air through somewhat narrow tube" to be more of an issue than CO2.

I've never used a snorkel extensively on scuba dives, but did snorkel a lot for decades before taking OW. No problems. But I've also read that some people naturally retain C02 a lot more than others.

Looks like the use of snorkel in the first place is somewhat of a contentious issue (just learning that *everything* in diving is a debate.) :) Since I've just started, I'll keep it for now before I can evaluate pros and cons. At the minimum, I'd like to be in two situations before making this decision: (1) strong current underwater where the snorkel is in the way, and (2) long wait in choppy seas for a boat pickup.

Thanks for your lovely post. It brought back wonderful memories of my early days of diving.

Some areas a snorkle is a requirement like in Queensland. The dead air space in a snorkel ... you don't just have to suck air through a small tube.... you have to exhale CO2 out of that small tube before you can suck the air back in. :)

Sounds like you had a good time, Kerry and the crew at Kona are great, so way to go with selecting one of the better dive ops in Kona

Not sure who Kerry is (the lady who owns the shop?) My instructor for confined water part was Katie, then she transferred me to instructor nicknamed "Shaggy." I kept calling him "Scooby" on occasion, but he didn't seem to mind. Why would he? He had a really great job (except for pay, as I understand.)

---------- Post added November 6th, 2015 at 11:06 AM ----------

" Setting up the gear was mundane but necessary"
can you elaborate on that statement, - thanks

The initial part was to show me how to put together regulator, BCD and tank. The exercise was "put it together;" "take it apart;" "put it together;" "take it appart;" ..., ..., ..., "ok, one last time," ... It felt like building muscle memory, which was probably the idea.

Here is the funny part. After all of that, when I went to my first dive at home (to Catalina, off of a boat,) I set up my gear when everybody else was setting up theirs and all I was trying to do is to look inconspicuous and routine. When I was done, I was (again, inconspicuously) checking out all the gear around me to see if I forgot anything or did anything wrong. Suddenly, I notice that all the other rigs have this strappy thingy around the valve - arrggh - I've forgotten about it so I had to disconnect my regulator and put the strap around. Easier said than done. The knob wouldn't budge. I tried to turn it harder, while at the same time *pretending* I was doing it lightly as it was supposed to be just "finger tight" the way I was taught. Won't move. After a few tries, I put all my strength into it (and I'm a big and strong guy) and it wouldn't move. Oh well, I though I'd have to deal with it after the first dive, when it suddenly occurred to me that I didn't depressurize the system. A "pfssst" later and it all disconnected nicely.

So, those mundane tasks are clearly necessary. :)

Yeah we've all done stuff like that. Like the time I tried to search for someone's lost weights without a weight belt on... When I put that strap over the tank valve I fold it over into a loop and put the loop around the valve--saw someone doing that years ago. Kind of like attaching trailer chains to the back of a vehicle. I figure that strap holds the tank in case the tank strap comes loose so this method may help. Haven't had a tank slip since buying the Apollo Bio Tank Lock 8 years ago.

Back
Top Bottom