Old time scuba divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Once I had learned tank valve breathing in my scuba class, it became useful as a skill later on in a hot tub to stay submerged....

I was originally certified in 1987 in college. I dove some but got married the next year and my wife had zero interest (actually afraid to go underwater) in scuba. Years later (2020) I got recertified with my two, now, adult sons. Now in 2020 when I got certified it was to a maximum depth of 60 ft. To go beyond that you need advanced training. However, in 1987, I am almost certain that we were trained to go deeper. I remember learning about decompression tables as well as safety stops. Unfortunately, I cannot find my old scuba book. Was anyone been certified that long ago? Was deep diving training part of your certification? Is advance training for deep dives something that has come along in the past years or an I just misremembering? In 1987 I was certified under IDEA; in 2020 under PADI in case it is agency related.
1984 PADI and NAUI certified. It was a 3 month college course, and we were taught square dive profiles with navy dive tables. Always start dive with deepest depth. No limit on depth. 😱

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom