Old time scuba divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

1987 NAUI. Depth limit was 130fsw. It was a year or so later when dive ops started requiring AOW to go below 100fsw, essentially changing the max depth to 100fsw for most divers.

Class was very basic, but had to breathe off a bare scuba tank for some unknown reason.

Class was very basic, but had to breathe off a bare scuba tank for some unknown reason.

I would strongly recommend that folks not do that. It may look cool in the movies and yes it can be done and I am telling you not too if you do not want your lungs blown out your nether regions, just saying!

Nearly every class began with buddy breathing, not just kneeling on the bottom but swimming through a couse. In 1979 my wife was YMCA certified and I do not recall there being a depth limit other than 130 feet, deco was covered and again buddy breathing was how air sharing was taught.

James

I would strongly recommend that folks not do that. It may look cool in the movies and yes it can be done and I am telling you not too if you do not want your lungs blown out your nether regions, just saying!

Nearly every class began with buddy breathing, not just kneeling on the bottom but swimming through a couse. In 1979 my wife was YMCA certified and I do not recall there being a depth limit other than 130 feet, deco was covered and buddy breathing was how air sharing was taught.

James

I do not recall being taught this in my OW class in Jan 1986 but I do know about it.

James
If you put your mouth over the valve that could happen. We were told to breath from the bubble stream; your mouth did not touch any part of the valve. I know it's weird but it works. You would think you would get water forced into your lungs but you are over the valve so the water does not get forced into your mouth. I think the reason for knowing how to do this is that if your first stage regulator failed and your buddy was not with you (so no buddy breathing) you could get air from the tank. I would ditch the gear and do a CESA.

As to valve breathing, again, I would not recommend the possible introduction of high pressure air to your lungs. Yes, I know how to do it.

My oldest surviving card. Ten years after my initial SCUBA Diver course and same instructor. Taught through the university at that time:

My parents moved while I was away in college and left (by memory omission I guess) quite a bit of model airplanes, rockets, a few pellet rifles, SCUBA gear and some other things belonging to me and my brother (his tube component stereo $$$$$$) in the attic. I think my original card issued 1968 was among those things as it has not resurfaced since that move.

Were YMCA certification records transferred to someplace?

James

Were YMCA certification records transferred to someplace?

James

-I heard you held the former YMCA SCUBA program records. Is this true?

Yes, you can read more about our diving history HERE

-How can I get a former YMCA, PDIC, SEI, or CMAS replacement card?

Just complete our convenient form HERE and you will receive your card within 7-10 business days.

Did PDIC go out of business or are they still in operation?
They were sold to SEI and Tom Leaird sold both to someone else in FL. I don't know.

Regarding tank valve breathing, there is a third way I used to teach in the solo cave class I won't post.

Back
Top Bottom