How old is too old?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What's your point? That the majority of folks over the age of 100 have health problems? We all know this and understand that the chances of us even reaching 100 are pretty slim. OTOH, shouldn't decisions of this nature be based on ability rather than age? I think it's doubtful that I'll ever meet a working DM who is age 100 or more, but I wouldn't discount them solely because of a number. To do so would be bigoted.

Apparently I have offended you, and I apologize.In my original post I was just making light of the situation. I agree that your ability to dive is more important than your age. If you know someone over the age of 100, and they still dive, then I salute them.

I am currently finishing up my DiveCon course with two gentleman in there 50s and I am 30 and I have to say they are in better shape than me. I have dove with both of them and dive with several 50 year old on a regular basis. And at no time have I considered them being a problem as divers. Maybe it is because I respect my elders and enjoy diving with them. There is always something I can learn from someone that has a few more years under their dive belt than I have.

Wow! Thanks for all the replies. I guess I can figure posting that ? on here was a sign of demensia setting in. I have been contemplating going towards a DM but was affraid maybee it is just Peter Pan syndrom setting in:wink:

Speaking for myself, I'm 57 did 58 dives last year 78 dives in 06. I've dove everything but
a rebreather, don't care to. Sorry, gota go, just returned from Cozumel, now headed to Fla.
Age means nothing, don't smoke, keep the partying under control, and enjoy life.
Try to stay in shape and Dive Dive Dive....

I would venture to say around 45 or so. At this age, you are quite over the hill for anyone to really take you seriously. Your muscle mass has decrease significantly and dementia is setting in.

I was 49 when I got OW certified, and 52 when I became an instructor ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I was 51 when I completed DM and 55 when I finished my NAUI ITC. If you're in good physical health, go for it! I'm teaching a drysuit course this weekend... :palmtree: Bob

I would venture to say around 45 or so. At this age, you are quite over the hill for anyone to really take you seriously. Your muscle mass has decrease significantly and dementia is setting in.

Granted I’m not an instructor in the terms of Recreational divers. But at 61 not a single member of my team was born when I started diving. I have to pass the POST (Police Academy) entrance PT exam twice a year along with the snot noses and not a one of them can stay with me in the water or getting ready to get in.

SO what’s this 45 crap?:confused:

This goes right along with another thread where the guy won’t dive with ANYONE who got certified in warm water.

Looking like some heads need to be pulled out of the sand. Times have changed and people are living and enjoying life a lot longer than even when I was a kid.:wink:

Gary (no walker in the dive gear) D.

I think that was a tongue in cheek comment, at least I hope it was.

to become a DM or work towards being an instructor?

When you're 6 ft. under & they're remembering your deathday vs. your birthday---unless they are one in the same ie you came & went on the same day.....Trust me, (old) age has nothing to do with it........GEAUX TIGERS........

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom