How old is too old?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Once you're dead and buried then I would say you are probably too old.
Other than that as long as you can physically handle the job...

I don't understand the question. Why is age an issue? I do understand that often people have health issues as they age, but the problem with them becoming a DM or an instructor is the health issues, not their age.

I would venture to say around 45 or so. At this age, you are quite over the hill for anyone to really take you seriously. Your muscle mass has decrease significantly and dementia is setting in.

I'm older than you (by 4 years!) and I'm just finishing up my DM. Very challenging, VERY fun. I've found there are many younger people that I can run rings around so if you're up, do it!

I did DM at 53. Timmed swims were tough. My class consisted of 20 and 30 somethings. I had no problem keeping up with them. As Walter said age has nothing to do with it, it's your overall health and fitness. Oh, an by the way, I have a lot of people take me seriously although I have to admit dementia set in about 30 years ago.

I am currently taking my DM and I am 60. The timed swim of 32 length in 18 minutes was a little tough but I am not sure that every agency requires that.

Did my PADI DM class 2 years ago at 47 and taking my IDC/IE this year at 50. I held my own with younger DM candidates and will just plan to get my own DM's as soon as possible to help with humping tanks for/with students (Tanks seem to get heavier and heavier these days!)

Carrying my own is no problems but 3-6 student's worth of tanks get old quick!

If your age reaches the triple digits, then you might want to think about hanging up your fins.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom