Question How old are you and how long certified? Poll- please take part!

How old are you and how long certified?

• 10-18

Votes: 13 1.3%
  • 19-29

Votes: 81 8.4%
  • 30-39

Votes: 153 15.8%
  • 40-49

Votes: 199 20.5%
  • 50-59

Votes: 231 23.8%
  • 60-69

Votes: 213 22.0%
  • 70-79

Votes: 72 7.4%
  • 80-89

Votes: 6 0.6%
  • 90 and over

Votes: 1 0.1%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scuba diving doesn’t need to be crushingly expensive if you know how to piece together gear creatively and economically. Unfortunately, information on the finer points of gear streamlining and finding used gear deals is scarce. The dive industry has done a great job at brainwashing the public into thinking they have to spend a ton of money to be safe and to enjoy the sport.
And yes, back in the early days diving was new and there was a lot of mystique about what was underwater. Diving shows brought this into the living rooms of the world. Only the most adventurous sportsmen ventured under the waves, it was full of danger and you had to be brave to do it. This captured the imagination of the public and youth in general. We don’t have that today, it’s all been discovered and the mystery is gone.
My sentiments exactly. Since my 1st intro to SCUBA was on a Double Hose Regulator, I have always been intrigued by them. Post-certification for me, doubles were passe’, relinquished to the realm of hard hat diving. I got 2 USD doubles for $20.00 ea because no dive shops would work on them. They were to improve my U/W macro photography. Now I collect and restore them for my personal collection…all Safe to dive with once again. SCUBA back from the time they built gear to last. The ‘romance’ with the bravo and adventure is gone….for some.
goantfroginthepool
Scott G. Bonser, Harrellsville, NC

Enjoy to this dayWith all the IP rehashing Hollywood has been doing lately im sort of surprised we haven’t seen a SeaHunt reboot. Also would love to see more NUMA/Dirk Pitt shows/movies.
Iconic shows that I still enjoy to this day. If I could figure out a way, I would love to participate in a ‘Thunderball‘ reenactment as I have collected and restored the gear from that time period like the kind in the movie…make and model specific. All of it Safe and diveable.
giantfroginthepool
Scott G. Bonser, Harrellsville, NC

42 years old, certified in 2000 through UC Berkeley's program including diving in Monterey, then subsequently dived mostly on vacation in the tropics, including Derewan (Indonesia), Hawaii, and Cabo. Getting back into cold water diving after starting open water swimming. I can understand why open water swimming is appealing to older folks but given how much gear is lugged for diving I am impressed by the many older folks that are still actively diving - kudos!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom