How old a hydro on new tank

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

belairbrian

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
So what do you feel is acceptable for a new tank.

I ordered 2 tanks one was born 07/10 the other 02/10.

They only shipped the 07/10 and were going to ship the other when one with a better date came in a shipment they had due.

Since it didn't show up and I was offered an 03/10 which i thought was a little old.

They called XS and were told the newest steel they had was 11/10 which I'm Ok with. Further that they never get tanks from Worthington with less than with less than 4 months passing from manufacture.

Seemed odd as I got 2 HP 80s last March with 02/10 born on dates.

I don't know. It's been a while since I purchased a new tank. When I did, I picked it out at the shop where I purchased it. I identified the tank with the most recent hydro and told the manager, "That's the one I want." :D

If special ordering a new tank, I'd simply ask if the shop could give me a range for the expected hydro date. If the hydro date ended up being 2 or more years ago, perhaps the shop would be willing to give a discount on the first hydro down the road.
FWIW, I'd say that, for a tank being sold as "new," a hydro date within the past 12 months is reasonable.

Enjoy your Worthingtons. They're great tanks.

That's not abnormal to see that. Hydro's are not that expensive, and if you bought both of them you can get both of them done at the time the first needs it. Be careful if you're doubling them up though that one may be slightly longer/shorter than the other. Slightly can be up to an inch or so which is a pain if you're sitting

It's a reasonable assumption that they will re-hydro successfully when the time comes. Hence the "loss" amounts to pro-rating the hydro. In round generous numbers $10 / year.

Meanwhile these are not made to order and if we expect prices representing economies of scale there will be inventory in the pipeline.

A year and the $10 it represents is a reasonable margin.

I have seen sellers of older cylinders offer discounts based on the short interval the buyer will see but not for stuff still in year 1.

Pete

Where I used to live, a hydro, tumble, vip and nitrox fill was $40 per tank, so it works out to $8 per year. Where I am now, a hydro is $40, a tumble is $30, a vip is $15, and a nitrox fill is $15...

I'm much more concerned about vip when buying a used tank as long as I've got a year or so before hydro is up. I don't buy tanks new, but would consider it if I had more money :D A tank less than one year out of hydro is pretty "new" and I wouldn't expect much in terms of taking off the price, but you might as well haggle for a free fill or two, that should be worth more than the prorated hydro cost.

Back
Top Bottom