How often does a regulator NEED to be serviced?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi MWildings

My experience, and that of my diving friends, is that getting you regulator serviced is the most likely thing to cause regulator problems.

Actually they are just made of bits of brass and springs and rubber and there is simply no magical life support equipment in there anywhere. The low pressure seat in the second stage may take a set after several years and lead to mild free flow. You can simply fix that yourself by unscrewing the second stage from the low pressure hose and turning the orifice in a small amount while depressing the purge valve. Of course half the posters here will tell you that only a highly trained technician who chants incantations would be capable of unscrewing a hose and turning a screw an eight of a turn, why? – because of course it is “life support equipment”. Perhaps they should get over themselves.

Beyond that if you check for leaks, check that the intermediate regulator is within specification and that it breaths well the chances of anything going suddely wrong is remote. The intended fuction of your regulator is to provide breathing gas with little work of breathing. You can monitor how your regulator breaths on every dive and if it breaths badly it may be time to have it serviced. If something does go wrong you will be with your buddy because they, not your regulator, are your life support equipment! The rubber parts and springs will eventually wear out but their life expectancy is closer to 10 years than 1. The other consideration is keeping the internal components clean. If you dive in a dirty environment taking your regulator apart and cleaning may be a good idea but the 1 year interval is wholly arbitrary and you may need to do cleaning more or less frequently.

With the scary and exciting "life support" testaments, you'd think scuba diving was about as dangerous as skydiving, free wall high altitude rock/ice climbing, or trying to set the record for longest time in a cage with the world's most poisonous snakes. (I read that the guy that did that woke up one morning in the cage to find that the heat lamp that drew the snakes to the other side of the cage had burned out, and all the snakes were entwined around him for warmth.)

Yep, one regulator malfunction and it's just about certain you'll never survive. That's why "professional" regulator techs have to go to school for an entire 2 days to get certified.

Of course, there are some excellent reg techs with years of experience, attention to detail, and a comprehensive understanding of both the theory of reg design and the mechanical details of your reg. Having your reg serviced by one of these is likely to extend the useful life of your reg, make it breathe it's best, and allow you to enjoy your dive trip worry free. Well serviced and well maintained regs should last at least 100 dives, I would think. It depends on the reg, I guess.

But, better not push your luck and go to 101 dives. Is your life worth it?:D

Of course, there are some excellent reg techs with years of experience, attention to detail, and a comprehensive understanding of both the theory of reg design and the mechanical details of your reg.

I agree completely, snd in my experience a great deal of these excellent reg techs didn't get that way because they attended a reg clinic. I'm with Luis, Mattboy, et al. in the belief that there is no reason to fix something that isn't broke.

Now, having said that, here is a question for you guys that I've been pondering lately. On my used regs I service them when they need it, but on my doubles regs which were purchased new last December, I get free parts for life blah blah blah. The engineer in me is telling me not to screw with something that works fine, but on the other hand, the idea of having fresh soft parts in it every year at no costs seems appealing as well. Any thoughts?

Jim

............... On my used regs I service them when they need it, but on my doubles regs which were purchased new last December, I get free parts for life blah blah blah. The engineer in me is telling me not to screw with something that works fine, but on the other hand, the idea of having fresh soft parts in it every year at no costs seems appealing as well. Any thoughts?

Jim

I have a several thoughts, first unless your tech is doing the work for free, the "saving" on parts is pretty much a joke, you are still on the hook for the major part of the service...something I am sure you know. Based on a lot of board comments and some personal experience, the most likely time a reg is going to malfunction is shortly after overhaul, so why increase the number of chances for failure and last but not least every time the reg is dissembled ware and possible damage to machined surfaces takes place. Check, monitor and repair when needed.

Your regulator is going to fail at some point. Mine failed on the surface on the first dive after servicing.

The failure will likely follow the "bathtub curve":
350pxbathtubcurve1tc7.jpg

This is from:
Bathtub curve - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I have a several thoughts, first unless your tech is doing the work for free, the "saving" on parts is pretty much a joke, you are still on the hook for the major part of the service...something I am sure you know. Based on a lot of board comments and some personal experience, the most likely time a reg is going to malfunction is shortly after overhaul, so why increase the number of chances for failure and last but not least every time the reg is dissembled ware and possible damage to machined surfaces takes place. Check, monitor and repair when needed.

I'm the tech.

But what if you buy a used regulator (warranty now void) have it serviced and then use it two or three times a year. Is it really going to require yearly servicing in this case?

I'm with the many who have said it can go for a lot more than a year with good care and diver awareness.

A scuba regulator is simply another form of pneumatic regulator. Actually 2 of them with the first and second stage. They consist of some combination of springs seats and seals that balance against other forces such as the draw on a regulator diaphragm or the compression of a first stage spring. Induistrial equipment is loaded with this stuff and they fun for decades on factory air.

To believe that one will go 2 heck after processing a few hours worth of exquisitely clean breathing air is pure hype.

However there are a few gotchas that you need to stay on top of. You can't be getting water into the regulator. If you're a klutz at changing tanks, rinse haphazardly or not at all then you can get into trouble. Water, especially salt can promote destructive corrosion and lead to damaged parts or failure.

Secondly, the adjustment of you regulator, especially the carefully set 2nd stage will drift over time and through nothing more than storage can let the seat imprint enough to lead to free flowing. Storing the second stage with the seat out of contact can control this deformation. Some regulators are more susceptible than others.

As mentioned by knowing the history of your regulator, paying attention to it's performance and watching the IP for changes or instability you can have a good handle on how well it will regulate air.

Pete

I agree completely, snd in my experience a great deal of these excellent reg techs didn't get that way because they attended a reg clinic. I'm with Luis, Mattboy, et al. in the belief that there is no reason to fix something that isn't broke.

Now, having said that, here is a question for you guys that I've been pondering lately. On my used regs I service them when they need it, but on my doubles regs which were purchased new last December, I get free parts for life blah blah blah. The engineer in me is telling me not to screw with something that works fine, but on the other hand, the idea of having fresh soft parts in it every year at no costs seems appealing as well. Any thoughts?

Jim

Well, do all the steps necessary to get the free parts except the service.

I almost forgot. To the guy who compared regs to planes. Which is worse? When a scubadivers reg stops delivering air at depth when his buddy isn't around, or when a pilots plane has no wings at altitude and he has no parachute?

Well, do all the steps necessary to get the free parts except the service.

Well I'll have to double check with my shop owner, but I understand that they have to purchase the kits, then send back the old parts and get a credit, so I either use them or I dont bother with the service until they need it, which is how I'm leaning right now.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom