How often do you dive "dry" year round?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BORG

Contributor
Reaction score
Tucker, Georgia, just northeast of Atlanta
# of dives
100 - 199
I was curious how often drysuit owners dive dry both winter and summer months? Do you just leave the wet suit on the rack or hardly ever use it anymore once you've got the warm feeling that only a drysuit can give a diver.

Or do you only use a light wetsuit(2-3MM) during the heat of the summer in tropical waters?

THANKS!

Two dry suits, used year round, depending on location

DUI TLS350 trilam dry for "cold" water
DUI 30/30 tropical dry for "warm" water

Wetsuit? There's one in the house here somewhere. Just haven't seen it since I bought the 30/30.

30/30 has been used in water up to 85F with surface temps in the 80-90F range and never been too warm. DUI needs to get more people to try these suits, because they would sell every one they could make if they did!

I dive dry year round unless the water is too warm. for me that's 76 or above. Of course Lake Erie was 39 at depth in August. At our local training lake I use a 5 mil, polartech(eqiv to 3 mil), or just a skin depending on conditions and how long I'll be in the water. I'm going to Bonaire in feb and trying to decide on the 5 mil(lots of dives) or the polartech. I may take both and just decide when I get there.

I'm happy when the water in the Midwest heats up to the high 60's-70's and I can shed my drysuit for my 1/4" (about 6.5mm) wetsuit. The wetsuit gives me so much more freedom of movement PLUS I can wear my beloved Jet Fins with it. When I do more than 2 dives in one day in the summer in Ohio I often go ahead and wear the drysuit because I get cold; I occasionally switch from wet to dry in one day though (ex: drysuit for the night dive after diving wet during the day). I usually wear either my 1/4" farmer john or a 3mm shortie over a 3mm full suit for vacation diving in warm destinations.
Ber :lilbunny:

I dive dry all year. The water temp at depth here never warms up above 50. The only time I don't use a dry suit is when I travel to a warm water destination.

I've got two flavors of exposure protection: Dry suit and 1.5mm skin. I have a 2 piece 7mm suit too, but I haven't used it since I went dry.

I have a couple of wetsuits. I have a 7mm suit and a 3mm suit. The wetsuits are for vacations, but when I'm home (New England) I dive dry all the time. Same story with my wife.

Shane

I switch back and forth. I dive wet in the summer and dry in the winter. I actually purchased a 7mm wetsuit after already having the dry suit. The wetsuit has less drag and is more comfortable for cave diving, so I'm wearing the dry suit less and less.

I'm in the Midwest and I dive dry all year long, with a few rare exceptions.

When I travel to warmer waters, I usually use my 3mm with hood and gloves (if allowed). I like to be covered :D As a matter of fact, in Playa del Carmen, the guide asked me not to wear gloves, so I left them on the boat. When we got to depth, I spent several minutes looking at my hands underwater since I couldn't recall when I had seen then without neoprene gloves or drygloves. I think the guide thought I was narced. :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom