How much weight do you dive with?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

5'8" 205lb
5mm + gloves + hood
ss bp/w
0 lbs of weight

5'10"
220 pounds
5 mil Henderson Hyperstretch full suit
3 mil hood
5 mil boots
5 mil gloves
XL Kighthawk BCD
fresh water 12 pounds
works nicely for me

6'1", slightly under 285#, obviously chubby, no wet suit (just t-shirt, swim trunks, scuba boot(ies) & fins), diving roughly 80 degree waters in Bonaire back in March '10, I consistently used 24# & that worked out for me. Sherwood Avid BCD - 2x size, weight-integrated. Air 2 system, so no octopus. 80 cf aluminum tank (the usual there).

So, 24# with no wet suit. I've wondered whether I could get by with 22.

Richard.

I have always heard it was 10% of your body weight.
I am 6'2" and weigh 280 lbs. So that would be 28 lbs. In salt water with a 3 mm suit I use about 18 lbs. I do really well with my buoyancy though. I found that carrying the extra weight I was always working to get it right. Now I do have to work a little to get down but after the first 10 feet I have a very enjoyable dive.
It may sound crazy but anything that makes you more comfortable underwater is what I feel you need to do. I do know that I feel better during the dive with one less thing to think about and after I get back up, from not struggling the whole time, I look back on the dives with fond memories.
Those my friends are my 2 cents worth.

5' 9", 180 lbs and I use 17.5 lbs in a full 7mm wetsuit with hood, booties and gloves and an AL80 in fresh water (16 lbs in my drop pouches and a 1.5 ankle weight on my tank valve...helps me trim out nicely).

I started at 29 lbs and have been dropping weight as I gain more experience.

With 17.5 I have to do a strong exhale to begin the dive (until my suit fills and starts to compress) and then I add a little air as I descend. I have done a few buoyancy checks and I have no trouble holding a stop with 500 psi at 15-20'.

Had a chance to try my new 2mm full suit yesterday (no hood or gloves) and with 500 PSI left in the tank I needed 6lbs. I couldn't believe there would be THAT much difference between my 7mm and my 2mm!

5'8"
185 pounds
7 mil Henderson Hyperstretch full suit
5 mil hood
5 mil boots
5 mil gloves
Hollis BP
Oxycheq Mach V Extreme
HP 80 Steel tank
Fresh water - 2 pounds

When I dive in my Whites Dry Nexus 2, I dive with 10 pounds.

Back
Top Bottom