How much weight do you dive with?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Your 7mm 2-piece is the big unknown in this problem. Without the neoprene, you are probably within a pound or 2 of neutral with that steel tank that is -8 to -10, empty, in salt water. So take the neoprene to the pool and see what it take just to sink it. It is probably in the 24 to 34 pound range.

I am a newbie, so dont know a whole lot, but it seems to me that there is a lot of weight being worn!
I am about 5'10 and weigh approx 200lbs and only take:
10 -12 lbs with steel and a 5 mill in fresh water
14-16 lbs with alum and a 5 mil in fresh water

When I took my OW at Ala Blue Water, my instructer Ben sized me up (pretty quick) and gave me 12 lbs. In fact Ben did a pretty good job of choosing everyone in the classes weight requirments simply by "eyeballing" them.

I dont mean to discount Ben, but if he can size people up that accurately, then I am sure others can too. Thats why I would think there would have to be a chart somewhere.

I just can't imagine anyone my size wearing 30 or 40 lbs !!!!. I have done some shore dives with a 1/2 mil skin and I think I only took about 14lbs.

I weight 70 kilograms and i'm 5'7''
I still can't find my right amount of weight...all my diving takes place in warm tropical waters, but sometimes using 6 pounds works fine, sometimes using 10 pounds is fine...I'll just have to keep diving and trying different weights. for the record, I use a 3mm wetsuit + the weight of my camera.

Me:
Ht: 6'
Wt: 240
Exposure suit: 3mm full + 5mm dive boots;
Tank: Al80

And use 18lb's of lead, at the beggining of the dive I'm a bit negatively buoyant and have to add air to my BC, but at the end I have to dump it in order to stay neutral for the safety stop.

I dive in salt water in the caribbean.

I'm 6', and weigh 215 lbs. I dive a DSS stainless backplate.
If I wear a 1mm wetsuit, I don't need any weight.
If I wear a 3mm wetsuit, I wear 4 lbs. On a weight belt.

-Mitch

i am almost 6ft
i use 3mil shorty
steel tanks 12 lt and 10 lt
weight 4 KGs (8.8 pound)

I am 5'-8" and weigh 200 lbs. My weighting is optimized for neutral buoyancy at a 15' safety stop.

Cold Water Diving:
7-mil wetsuit with booties, gloves, hood.
6-lb SS backplate/wing.
HP100 steel tank.
8 lbs of lead.

Warm Water Diving:
No wetsuit.
6-lb SS backplate/wing.
AL80 Aluminum tank.
4 lbs of lead.

Looks like I will need to add 2-4# extra lead weight if I am going to hold a 72" SMB upright from 15' depth.

6'1" 195Lb
3/2 Neoprene
Seapro jacket Bc ... nicely padded
80 Al and all brass regs
2 - 10 Lb coated lead weights...
Subtropical ocean.

I remember my instructor belting me with a whopping 40 pounds!

I'm 5'8" 165lbs

Cold water diving:
3mm neoprene drysuit with double fleece undergarment
Zeagle ranger bcd
108 lp steel tank
28 lbs (I've dropped 8-10 lbs in the last year)

Warm water diving:

3mm full wetsuit
Al 80
12 lbs

Me;

I dive in a 7mm full w/5mm hood, gloves and boots. Steel 80, 22lbs, or my steel 119 18lbs.

I am 5-11
weight 265 (a few extra pounds, not too muscular) logged over 400 dives......
then stopped counting

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom