How much $ to O2 clean a tank?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for all the replies. My biggest concern was that I was getting taken for $$ and that I had to spend that every year. I'm not sure what's included in the price other than the valve and tank being cleaned. All I know is that they send it somewhere to be cleaned.

I hope you don't believe that.... I've gotten tanks in from the manufacturer that had o2 clean factory labels on them but were filthy inside, had grease in the threads, etc...

don't ever trust a manufacturer that their tanks are clean when they say they are. I've seen many cases where they aren't. Whether it's the dive shop that got them dirty, the shipping company, or whoever...... you should never "trust" some sticker on a tank that has no pedigree of where it's been.

A tank is only as clean after you've had it correctly cleaned, by yourself or someone you trust.

Well I don't know how to clean one which means I have to trust the shops, which I do. But if they are going to put a sticker on it and wait till I get I get it picked up, well unless there's some sort of chain of custody documentation and a secure lock box that guarantees no one has touched it, I'm pretty much just going to have to trust the sticker again. Oh well, fortunately, I haven't had a need for an O2 cleaned tank yet.

Well I don't know how to clean one which means I have to trust the shops, which I do. But if they are going to put a sticker on it and wait till I get I get it picked up, well unless there's some sort of chain of custody documentation and a secure lock box that guarantees no one has touched it, I'm pretty much just going to have to trust the sticker again. Oh well, fortunately, I haven't had a need for an O2 cleaned tank yet.

I'm just saying that in reference to your post that if it's "brand spanking new, then it should come o2 cleaned"

I've gotten several tanks, some direct from the manufacturer, that were clearly dirty to visual inspection. There are other people who have seen the same thing.

So if you can clearly see dirt, then it's not clean, much less o2 clean.

So just becaue the manufacturer puts an o2 clean sticker on there doesn't mean squat.

(your earlier quote).
If it's brand spanking new, then it should come 02 cleaned, unless you dirty filled it afterwards.

I'm just saying that in reference to your post that if it's "brand spanking new, then it should come o2 cleaned"

I've gotten several tanks, some direct from the manufacturer, that were clearly dirty to visual inspection. There are other people who have seen the same thing.

So if you can clearly see dirt, then it's not clean, much less o2 clean.

So just becaue the manufacturer puts an o2 clean sticker on there doesn't mean squat.

(your earlier quote).

True, but quoting myself, keyword "should".

Oh btw, I think if you buy a new tank new from a shop, they should be responsible for making sure it's O2 cleaned because that's part of what you are suppose to be paying for when you buy a new tank right? I don't think they should make you pay for a cleaning if they just sold you a brand new tank and it turns out to be dirty.

True, but quoting myself, keyword "should".

"Should" is correct. I agree with you.

Oh btw, I think if you buy a new tank new from a shop, they should be responsible for making sure it's O2 cleaned because that's part of what you are suppose to be paying for when you buy a new tank right? I don't think they should make you pay for a cleaning if they just sold you a brand new tank and it turns out to be dirty.

if you're just using it for regular air, they usually aren't cleaned at all (unless they are filthy).

The only reason it'd be o2 cleaned is for use with parital pressure filling or as an o2 deco bottle.
If you're getting pre-mixed nitrox, no need for o2 cleaning.

Whether or not o2 cleaning for o2-clean-required tanks is basically up to the shop and all shops differ.

"Should" is correct. I agree with you.

if you're just using it for regular air, they usually aren't cleaned at all (unless they are filthy).

The only reason it'd be o2 cleaned is for use with parital pressure filling or as an o2 deco bottle.
If you're getting pre-mixed nitrox, no need for o2 cleaning.

Whether or not o2 cleaning for o2-clean-required tanks is basically up to the shop and all shops differ.

But what I'm saying is, if you are looking for an O2 cleaned tank and you buy a brand new one from the shop and say it turns out to be dirty, I don't think that you should have to pay to get it cleaned the first time. There should be an expectation that a brand new tank is clean. At least I would think so.

You are not wrong for thinking that, just wrong for equating "clean" with "O2 clean" in terms of a new tank and the degree of clean.

That can be problematic as well however as while the average AL80 customer may not expect it to be O2 clean (as in use it with percentages over 40% O2 clean) the average AL40 customer probably intends to use it as a deco bottle where O2 clean is essential. That would be something you want to negotiate with the shop before you purchase it.

My LDS charges $40 and that includes the valve being rebuilt with new o-rings. If the tank is really dirty they may charge a little extra for the extra time. I think that is a fair price, and can honestly see charging more. It does take a little bit of time and work...

Me personally, I would not trust any O2 clean from the factory. I would say clean it and be sure, espically if I am the one putting High pressure O2 into a tank.

Phil

Back
Top Bottom