How much have you spent on gear?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

5 years
Somewhere in the $100k range.
Between the breathers, the compressors, the boosters, the banks, and 100s of tanks, it adds up.
When I started, I bitched about the grand I spent for training and my initial gear. Now, I easily have more than that in DIN plugs.

I love to see the pics of the dive gear lockers.

I am happy with my small pile. Actually 2 small piles. His and Hers.

Minimal stuff as we are vacation divers. No need for tanks or weights or big floppy wetsuits (actually I did use our weights a couple of years ago to make a racoon trap). The only mainstream extravagance we (I) have is dive computers (bad eBay habit).

I did notice that no one is showing camera gear...

Am in awe. Someone apparently cheaper than me!
Some of the other replies are amazing amounts. But I wonder how many are including buying a boat, maybe a trunk to store stuff, a rack to hang wetsuits, air/gas fills. I'm only considering the basic nuts and bolts dive equipment, like tanks, regs, wetsuits, etc.

Oops. Forgot prescription mask, $80. Everything's in focus now!!
Harvey's hoodie vest, uh, $50?
Gloves- work gloves 9 bucks at Home Depot.
Winn-Dixie plastic grocery bags to help slide wetsuit on arms and legs--free
playtex gloves under tropical gloves to keep hands warmer in colder water--$1
triathlon swim caps to go under hoodie vest for extra warmth--free

I think I'm still under $2K though.

Lots of stuff works as dive gear that wasn't intended as such.

It helps that I'm just an occasional doofus recreational weekender, not going real deep, or real far just to dive. So my gear hasn't worn out (yet), and it's still "better than I am"

Im about as "economical" a person as there is. Im the type of person who takes pride in being "economical" (the ladies love it!)

I've been diving for about 15 years. Just in purchasing gear Ive spent between $1500 and $2000, I'd say ( I have everything I need to dive except tanks - and Im just your basic recreational occasional weekend and travel diver - not doing any speciality diving).

The only gear I've ever truly upgraded was going from a 7 mm wetsuit to a 8/7 mm wetsuit w attached hood, and going from a pre-owned regulator to a new regulator. Otherwise Im using the same gear I started diving with.

If I had more $$ to spare Id love to buy an awesome video setup appropriate for No. Califas, and maybe get into kayak diving.

Well because we live in western Canada and get 6 months of winter, both my wife and I dive so I would say with 10 years of dive vacations + equipment and multiple equipment upgrades around 120K

Well because we live in western Canada and get 6 months of winter, both my wife and I dive so I would say with 10 years of dive vacations + equipment and multiple equipment upgrades around 120K
What about equipment alone?

Equipment alone including BCD upgrades, regulator upgrades, multiple dive computer upgrades, camera and light upgrades - easily 20K plus maybe be closer to 30K - hell i just bought 2 new dive masks off of kickstarter that were $ 400.00 US funds

Back
Top Bottom