How much have you spent on gear?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

After 45 years I couldn't even guess. Safe to say thousands.

I already lost track. I've just accepted this is where all of my money is going from here on out. Somewhere around $3000-$3500 since I started in April.

I was never really a gear hound. Mainly by necessity. I started diving in college (read: broke). Then got married to someone whose bad habits didn't leave any money for diving. Left him. Lost some gear in the process. Went back to school. Lost some more gear in a move. Got remarried and had a kid. Introduced husband to diving, so now there are two of us to buy for (luckily, there will be a few years between the time I get to quit paying for daycare and the time I get to pay for a third person's classes and gear).

The key for me really has been doing research, going slow, and finding deals. Right now I figure I've spent $1000 on training between my husband and I, $200 on gear that was lost, and $600 on masks\fins\wet suits. I just picked up two sets of used rental regs for $265. I still need gauges, BCs, and computers, so I'm probably looking at another $1500+ in the near future. Eventually I'll have to get some colder-water gear (not wet-suit cold, but not the warm ocean water that I was living near in college). And of course travel will be an expense now. Then there is the boat. My husband has a boat that could conceivably be used for diving. It's a 1971 24-ft Stamas Clearwater that's been converted to an in-board 351 Windsor. It's currently sitting in the yard pissing off the neighbors since we don't currently have anything that will tow it.

1 year. Still planning to rent most items outside of:

Mask, snorkel, fins, booties, 40L dry-duffel = ~$400
Dive light = $260
Camera housing = $200
Semi-dry = $320
Gloves = $45
Knife = $30
Odds and ends = $40

So ~ $1300

Not too bad looking around this place!

OK - I'm new and burning holes in all my pockets

Added the following:

used Halcyon Traveler Pro (WHOO!!) = $460
backup light = $115
SMB, Reel, sheers, double ender =~ $70
used lighter weight travel fins = $25

Total is now ~ $1960

I'm done for a while...really...

I'm renting the rest...really...

no...seriously...I'm going to focus on getting to know the gear I have and training and practicing good technique and traveling...and not buying gear...really!

I mean maybe a bonaire stahlsac if it goes on sale in a couple weeks...I think it'll help my trim...

Got certified this summer and so far, after 14 dives...

Mask= 45
Fins= 120
Regulator= 400
BP&W= 450
Various DIR-length hoses and bolt snaps= 150
SPG= 35
Dive computer= 440
Drysuit undergarment= 320
SMB and spool = 155
Gloves = 38
Titanium knife (lost the first dive!) = 50
A second identical first stage caught on ebay+DIN conversion and service = 170

Total EUR 2373... Almost everything bought on various online sales, PDC used. Nothing unnecessary apart from the computer, just simple and quality gear.
Diving it's a blood bath, and I still lack a drysuit to stop renting gear (eyeing a Santi E.Lite, another 1800€ :eek:)

This should be a fun thread. Post how long you've been diving and approximately how much you've invested in gear.

Time Diving: A little over 2 years
Money Spent on Gear: A little over $5K

:)

Next!

Just this year alone .... $8K ... new camera housing and new heated drysuit system add up pretty quick!

Breathing gases and maintenance are other big ones (along with scooters and lights)

_R

Diving 35 years.

Spent about $3K on gear at/right after certification. Spent maybe another $2K the next 20 years after that in upgrades/replacements. Casual vacation diver for most of that time.

Got serious about diving so replaced everything in the last decade - spent about $3500 on top of the line new gear. 2 sets of very good regs, top of the line BC etc. Very little on exposure gear - I own a skin but no wet/drysuit - not needed where I dive. I've sadly got about $1000 in fins - I always go for the newest ones at $150ish a pair. Although I do sell all the old ones. And boots, I must've gone thru 5-6 pairs of boots about 5 years ago looking for the right ones - not returnable once worn/wet.

Spent another $5K+ on HD video gear around 2005?

I've probably got $50K in dive trips also. Several liveaboards, most of the better Caribbean/Central America dive locations, most of Hawaii, a villa once - it adds up. Some years I did 2 $2-3K trips the same year - being landlocked all my diving includes flights. Mostly in the last decade.

My buddy probably has one of the larger expenditures - they recently bought a condo on Cayman Brac - being within walking distance of Reef Divers (their boats moor out front) was a selling point.

Last edited:
I've been diving for nine years.
I've spent approx. $25,000 on gear. Drysuit, scooters, doubles, regs for doubles, primary lights, etc. it adds up pretty quickly.

Actually it's well above $30,000 when I consider the cost of a rebreather; I later sold it.

Estimating costs is difficult, because often I flip gear, to buy other gear.
I'm not really keeping track........you have to pay to play, and I love diving!

Dive trips and training drive the costs further upwards.
I do try and keep expenses down by maximizing local diving. My job choices are influenced by diving. I'm not interested in living anywhere that isn't close to diving.

I'll be moving in a few weeks; I'm headed to Guam.

Last edited:
It's a 1971 24-ft Stamas Clearwater that's been converted to an in-board 351 Windsor. It's currently sitting in the yard pissing off the neighbors since we don't currently have anything that will tow it.

That's a nice boat, I like stamas, and the cuddy cabin is nice for when its a little chilly. I have a 1984 hydra-sports Wa 25 that has a cabin but mine is full of collecting gear so no room up there. Having your own boat is great the freedom to dive how you want is awesome.

Back
Top Bottom