How much does it cost for Hydro & VIP?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tomboyy

Carnival ride inspector
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
looking at an old steel tank (1971) reportedly in good condition. how much is it worth if I have to get Hydro and VIP? Thanks

That is something that can vary according to locality. For a steel tank, the big question will be rust and pitting, particulary inside. Your best bet is to check with your LDS. Be aware that DOT changed the requirements for aluminum hydros, requiring the hydro shop to also do an eddy current test, BUT this is ONLY for aluminum cylinders, NOT steel! The hydro shop that my LDS in NJ uses started charging us almost $90 to eddy current and hydro. That was our price, too.

Be aware that DOT changed the requirements for aluminum hydros, requiring the hydro shop to also do an eddy current test, BUT this is ONLY for aluminum cylinders, NOT steel! The hydro shop that my LDS in NJ uses started charging us almost $90 to eddy current and hydro. That was our price, too.

...are you sure about this? Can you cite the DOT regulations? I'm betting it is only for 6351 aluminum cylinders, which don't have any impact on the OP's question.

To answer the original question: I had a few cylinders hydro'd at Safe Air Systems in Randleman, NC for $9.50 each. They 'tested for the plus' and ran the requested PST pre-test procedures (both at my request) and provided me with the test results.

Note that since your old steel cylinder is probably a steel 72, chances are you won't be able to get the + rating due to the fact that no one seems to know the REE number for those cylinders, which is required for receiving a plus at the time of hydro.

If you go directly to the hydro tester it will most likely be much cheaper than your LDS. Then again in the Raleigh, NC area, the local places were charging $30-$35/cylinder for hydro at both the dive shops and the hydro stations. :shocked2:

If you go directly to the hydro tester it will most likely be much cheaper than your LDS. Then again in the Raleigh, NC area, the local places were charging $30-$35/cylinder for hydro at both the dive shops and the hydro stations. :shocked2:

Must be the "Life Support Equipment" surcharge :eyebrow:

I posted on here earlier about the edy and hydro I had done - it was $15 for each...then there was the thing about them destroying one of my tanks that failed edy....I called them and they offered to replace the tank and they did - I'd use them again just because they did right by me....but $9.50 for a hydro sounds pretty good, too

Note that since your old steel cylinder is probably a steel 72, chances are you won't be able to get the + rating due to the fact that no one seems to know the REE number for those cylinders, which is required for receiving a plus at the time of hydro.[QUOTE

Several of us have been trying to find documentation on the REE for the old steel 72's. We believe it to be between 55cc's and 60cc's. If anyone has any documentation please let me know. Thanks

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom