Hydro without vis

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't know where you get your 'hydro' water from, but the water we use for hydro is the same we use to O2 clean, rinse and dry cylinders. A complete visual is REQUIRED by a hydro facility as part of the test.

But, keeping that in mind, a fill station operator has the right to refuse to fill a cylinder at his discretion.

The visual is just the shop wanting verification that there isn't something oddly wrong with your cylinder(s) that is going to kill their fill operator. Take it to your preferred shop and have them do their visual. It's for them, not for you

Has anyone run into this before?

Looking at buying some second hand tanks with a newer hydro, and the seller claims that Aluminum tanks don’t need VIP if the hydro is new.

I think this is kind of sketchy, but how common/accepted is this?

I'd have them VCI'ed at a qualified VCI facility even if they come with a current VCI sticker.

All this being said (hydro requires visual etc) a friend of mine sent me this picture

IMG_5281.jpeg

Of a tank that had just passed hydro.

He said the tank was rubberized and he saw a small hole that looked like it had rust on it. He peeled back the rubberization and found this.

Has anyone run into this before?

Looking at buying some second hand tanks with a newer hydro, and the seller claims that Aluminum tanks don’t need VIP if the hydro is new.

I think this is kind of sketchy, but how common/accepted is this?
In some cases a vis might not be necessary. I have a couple cylinder that I plan to use for blowing out coils on my fridge and filling bike tires. I'll put not for breathing use and I know a couple places that will fill them as long as I sign a statement to that effect. We used to fill paintball and air rifle cylinders under the same type of waiver. No vis needed as long as the hydro was good.

Fortunately there are not a lot of the rubberized coated cylinder floating about as most have been relegated to the scrap yard. I have seen similar damage years ago and even painted and coated cylinders can have impressive damage under a blister. Customers don't always like my scraping around blisters, butt .... Fabers were notorious for this when they used a solid rubber boot

I recently sent a tank for hydro without having a vis done first. When it came back the vis was failed for thread damage.
Thankfully it was a $25 LP72

Maybe verify who did the hydro, a reputable hydro would typically include a visual.
False.
Hydros are done by commercial gas facilities that deal with all types of commercial gasses and cylinders. These facilities are not scuba businesses, and they wouldn't know anything about a scuba inspection.

Scuba visual inspections are specific to the scuba industry and are performed by scuba shops.

Done properly, a visual by a competent hydro facility is every bit as effective as you will encounter in any dive shop, no matter what PSI or other visual test criteria organization can dream up. Unlike dive shops, hydro facilities are required by law and regulations covered in the CFR title 49 to do proper visuals on all cylinders whenever a valve is removed, under severe penalties if they don't. Dive shops are not so bound by force of laws and regulations.

CFR - Code of Federal Rgulations

False.
Hydros are done by commercial gas facilities that deal with all types of commercial gasses and cylinders. These facilities are not scuba businesses, and they wouldn't know anything about a scuba inspection.

Scuba visual inspections are specific to the scuba industry and are performed by scuba shops.
This is exactly why I said "typically" 😄
It is not typical to hydro a SCUBA cylinder without a visual included in the process. This is usually done by whoever is ordering the hydro.

If it's DIY, the person who ordered the hydro can also perform the visual, provided that they are certified, do the paperwork, and have the proper sticker.

Ordering a hydro on a SCUBA cylinder with no visual in the chain... atypical, and the reason this thread happened > see other post(s)

Back
Top Bottom