Hydro without vis

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The hydro test is supposed to include a visual inspection. There’s no distinction between AL and steel tanks for this. It’s likewise true for any compressed gas cylinder that the DOT has authorization over. So in that sense, no tank ‘needs’ a dive shop VIP for use.

But, you’ll never get a dive shop to fill a scuba tank without a current dive shop VIP sticker. They own the compressor, they make the rules, and it’s a dive industry standard, not an actual law like the DOT regulations.

You can look at it from the dive shop’s point of view; they rightly need to cover their butts if anything were to happen. It’s extraordinarily unlikely that a AL tank with a recent hydro is going to burst under pressure, but if it did, pretty severe consequences for the person filling it. I just look at the VIP as part of the cost of doing business with a dive shop.

Looking at buying some second hand tanks with a newer hydro, and the seller claims that Aluminum tanks don’t need VIP if the hydro is new.

If the seller is an antique, like me, he is just giving out of date info, if he is younger you best look inside the tank.

Way back when the VIP was instituted, the first year after a hydro, the viz as part of the hydro was considered the VIP, and no sticker was needed. I remembered when that changed, and had to spend a few extra bucks I didn't have to spare, as I was annoyed I had to pay for a check that was already done once.

@Doc Harry visual inspection is required before hydrostatic testing.
Nope

Never once have I ever had to do a "visual inspection" before dropping my cylinders off at AirGas for a hydro.

NEVER

Nope

Never once have I ever had to do a "visual inspection" before dropping my cylinders off at AirGas for a hydro.

NEVER
guessing they do a quick visual before hydro? that's what the hydro facility by me does. i just never knew about it until they failed a tank that had a lot of corrosion inside. they don't put a sticker or it or anything

guessing they do a quick visual before hydro?
Ah, perhaps we have a misunderstanding. "Visual Inspection" to me in this context (Scubaboard) is a scuba inspection.

I can imagine that hydro facilities have their own protocols for checking a cylinder before performing a hydro test, but their inspections are completely unrelated to a scuba visual inspection.

Ah, perhaps we have a misunderstanding. "Visual Inspection" to me in this context (Scubaboard) is a scuba inspection.

I can imagine that hydro facilities have their own protocols for checking a cylinder before performing a hydro test, but their inspections are completely unrelated to a scuba visual inspection.
Yes, I believe this is it. I seem to recall something being posted in another thread that A visual inspection is part of the Hydro procedure. So a visual will be done with each Hydro. That's per DOT requirements 49 CFR 180.203. The Hydro shop, however, will not apply a VIP sticker on the tank. So usually, when you take a tank into a dive shop for a Hydro, you'll get two visual inspections. One by the Hydro tech, one by the LDS. If you take directly to the Hydro shop, they won't give you a VIP sticker or O2 clean. You'll need that sticker in order for a dive shop to fill. If you have your own compressor, then only the Hydro (including DOT Vis) is required.

@Doc Harry the DOT visual inspection before a hydro is the only one that has any legal jurisdiction, scuba shop visual inspections are unofficial industry practice. some hydro facilities will have a PSI/PCI inspector on staff and are able to provide the visual sticker to satisfy a dive shop if requested for a fee (the place in emeryville at least used to do this and also had a breathing air compressor they used for SCBA fills so you could get an air fill if you wanted too).

flash rust can be due to either improper drying by the hydro facility or they are not being provided plugs/valves to reseal the tanks and they are sitting around too long before the dive shop picks them up again. I drop mine off with the plastic shipping plugs and they come back just fine.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom