How much cushion do you leave..

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Any physiological process than can affect quality of respiration or circulation of blood in your body will have an effect on decompression.

From what I've been told, dehydration, working hard on the bottom (or harder than normal, which may be caused by fatigue) and lifting heavy weight after the dive are big factors that can affect your body negatively with respect to decompression.

R..

This is an interesting one. People assume this to mean that you cannot exercise after a dive. Which is rot; I frequently go to the gym post-dive; usually with a 3+ hour SI. The research for lifting heavy weight after the dive was literally that, Navy divers were asked to perform serious exercise immediately on exiting the water, shockingly this caused DCS in some! (Pretty sure I read that in a GUE manual if you need the source)

Physique; Ok without boasting I'm in good shape. Healthy eating, 4 times a week in the Gym with a structured weight program. The result is I have a low body fat percentage and good muscle mass. However, I've always found this not to be ideal for diving. I get colder a lot quicker than most people. Which in turn raises my DCS risk on longer dives as I start to shiver uncontrollably. I would posit that the 'ideal' diver should have a little 'cushion' just to stay warmer during divers.

As for cushioning. I frequently let it drop to zero on my suunto. And then begin a shallow multi level ascent, with a long hang in the shallows. I like to keep it clear of deco, when on a single.

This is an interesting one. People assume this to mean that you cannot exercise after a dive. Which is rot; I frequently go to the gym post-dive; usually with a 3+ hour SI. The research for lifting heavy weight after the dive was literally that, Navy divers were asked to perform serious exercise immediately on exiting the water, shockingly this caused DCS in some! (Pretty sure I read that in a GUE manual if you need the source)

GUE has manuals ???

:idk:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Bob had suggested that lack of sleep was a DCS risk factor. I was trying to relate that to known mechanisms (like changes in perfusion due to temperture or exertion, or CO2 retention). But I was coming up empty. Any idea why lack of sleep would matter?

Ill generally dive up to my time if that is the limiting factor, though I use tables so there is a certain amount of "cushion" built in anyway since the tables assume i am on a square profile when i pretty much never am.

Bob had suggested that lack of sleep was a DCS risk factor. I was trying to relate that to known mechanisms (like changes in perfusion due to temperture or exertion, or CO2 retention). But I was coming up empty. Any idea why lack of sleep would matter?
I know a decent amount of human anatomy and physiology, but I honestly could not tell you why this would increase the risk.
Probably the body has an greater physiological response after a lack of sleep. But I really do not know

because it is a "stressor" on the human system.... not really the specific item, but impacts the other things that are then more vulnerable...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom