How much cushion do you leave..

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

blackvans1234

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I'm going to try to word this so everyone can understand.

How much ''cushion'' do you leave for your NDL when using air?

I recently (yesterday) dove a little deeper than I have during the last few months, so my NDL was the limiting factor during one of my dives.

I was at about 65-75 feet and felt like I should keep my NDL timer above 15 minutes. What kind of cushion do you leave, if any?
(I obviously ascended to keep my NDL limits above 15 min)
Time to go nitrox :eyebrow:
Only problem is my computer isnt nitrox compatible! :(

Yeah I don't the idea of that because everyone's nitrogen absorption is different, so the computer may have an NDL that was calibrated by someone who absorbed nitrogen very slowly, and you do not

But that's just me.

Personally, my computer is the most conservative out of the group. When I have no time left, buddy usually has at least 5 minutes. So we run by my computer, right to the edge leaving maybe a minute, essentially just going up enough to stay out of deco.

When I am diving with other people though I tend to be more conservative, just because I am not as comfortable pushing the limits with people I don't know.

The best way though really would be to plan the dives before getting in the water so it is not an issue

Yeah I don't the idea of that because everyone's nitrogen absorption is different, so the computer may have an NDL that was calibrated by someone who absorbed nitrogen very slowly, and you do not

But that's just me.

What ever gave you such an idea???

But that's just me.

The computer wasn't calibrated to anyone's nitrogen absorption ... that's not how computers work. It's based on a mathematical model of how an "idealized" person would absorb nitrogen at different depths and in different tissue "compartments". A compartment is theoretical tissues in your body that absorb nitrogen with certain rate ranges ... and at any given time and depth during the dive, one "compartment" or another will be the one that's closest to NDL. The "compartment" that is closest to NDL is the one that determines the computer's displayed NDL time at any given point in the dive.

Different computers use different algorithms ... which is why they will vary in showing what your NDL will be at a given time. Some are based on mathematical models for bubble formation. Others for pressure differentials (i.e. "gradients") between the air you're breathing and the pressure of the absorbed nitrogen in your tissues. Some will give you "deco" credit for deep stops while others penalize you for those same stops. None of them are based on calibrations from an actual human being. They can't be ... the rate at which your body absorbs nitrogen depends on many factors that can change from day to day, or even dive to dive. And so computer algorithms take this into account by programming a certain amount of "conservatism" into how the calculations get made. This is another reason why some computers will show you very close to deco while a different computer at the same dive profile will show that you have several minutes of NDL remaining.

In short, your dive computer knows NOTHING about you ... it only knows what the programmer told it about the ongassing/offgassing rates of a theoretical person, within the tissue "compartments" that were considered by the software.

To answer the OP's question ... I don't generally worry about NDL. On most dives, I'll try staying within it. If you go over NDL ... which is not recommended for recreational diving, but it does sometimes happen ... the key thing to remember is that your computer will give you a "ceiling" above which you may not go, and a time for which you must not go above that ceiling. Ascend at no more than the recommended rate (air supply permitting) and remain below that ceiling until your computer indicates that you have no deco obligation remaining. Unless your air supply is getting low, DO NOT proceed to that ceiling at a rapid rate, and no matter how much air you have DO NOT attempt to go back down once your computer is cleared.

In most cases, a slow ascent will clear your computer before you even reach the ceiling. If the ceiling is at 10 feet, it's best to go ahead and do your safety stop before heading to 10 feet.

There's an article on this topic on my website that you might find useful ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Use the nitrox as your cusion, use the nitrox tables, it is good to learn them and then dive your computer profile to the t.

How do you calibrate the computer, if you say that is possible. calibrate it for your cushion.

The nitrox is more than likely more $ per fill so you will have to take that in to consideration, either way get the card and have the choice in what you feel is a cushion.

The computer wasn't calibrated to anyone's nitrogen absorption ... that's not how computers work. It's based on a mathematical model of how an "idealized" person would absorb nitrogen at different depths and in different tissue "compartments".

In short, your dive computer knows NOTHING about you ... it only knows what the programmer told it about the ongassing/offgassing rates of a theoretical person, within the tissue "compartments" that were considered by the software.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Those are two things that make me want to leave a cushion.

Number A) The computer knows nothing about me (obviously, its a computer ;p )
The formula's are based upon an "Idealized" persons absorption.
I havent done too many dives, so maybe im hanging with the wrong crowd, but I have had maybe 3 or 4 divers that seem to be "Ideal" physique-wise .
I remember hearing - may or may not be true- two things.
One was that fat absorbs nitrogen at a higher rate than muscle
And the second was servicemen were used as the ''test subjects'' for analyzing nitrogen absorption (something along those lines)

If that is the case, and the algorithims are based upon those studies (I don't know if they are or are not), than the non ''ideal'' diver (most of us here in the USA) would have different rates [higher because of fat- fat that was not as high in concentration in military people] of absorption.

And the slim possibility of having a PFO

Losing 15 minutes of my dive seems better than losing many hours, and dollars in a chamber

Well, that logic has to have some limits - after all, the existence of "undeserved hits" means that the only way to avoid those chamber rides 100% would be to stay in the surface....

Unless you are doing fairly shallow dives (and if you were, NDL would probably not be as much of an issue) 15 minutes seems like a pretty big chunk of your bottom time. I generally run my NDL down to a minute or two assuming I'm near the anchor line and ready to head home without delay. I feel OK doing that because I like my politics liberal and my dive computers conservative! :)

Back
Top Bottom