How mount this double7 on a BCD or backplate

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pandit

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello, I have a question about this "Dräger" double7. I bought it on a marketplace. Each tank has a DIN connector. They are connected with an intermediate piece with a DIN connection for the first stage in the middle.

My question is how to mount these tanks on a BCD or on a back-plate? There is little space between the tanks to use a metal bands and I can't adjust the space between the tanks with the intermediate piece.

double.jpg

PS: I'm from the Netherlands and uses liters instead of Cubic feet. And we use both Yoke and DIN.

If they’re DIN, split them and use as singles. Or use them as independent cylinders on a soft band set, or use hard bands (standard bands)

Are the cylinder neck threads M25x2 or G3/4 BSP?

If M25x2, get another manifold.

Are they in test?

Split them. They'd make a great set of independent doubles/sidemount tanks.

They look like old "firefighter" tanks. Probably with E17 tapered thread.
You will have trouble with some filling stations that don't want to fill them.
I just hope you didn't pay to much for them.
If you want to dive doubles why not get a "proper" set with a standard isolated manifold.
That being said.
If you can get these tested and filled I would take them apart and use them for pool training or something like that.

Thanks for all the quick responses here. I like to continuing diving with doubles for a better weight-distribution. And I bought these very cheap. My idea was to sell all my other (10 and 12 liter-tanks) and only use this one. With my air consumption it's enough for 2 dives.
I don't want to play with safety. If these tanks are not for scuba. I will split them to singles.

They look like old "firefighter" tanks. Probably with E17 tapered thread.
I also had the same thought because beside SCUBA-gear Dräger is also known for their firefighters stuff. The previous owner used it for Scuba.
You will have trouble with some filling stations that don't want to fill them.
I just hope you didn't pay to much for them.
Only 15 euro about 14 bucks :) . I can fill them myself at the divers clubhouse.
If you want to dive doubles why not get a "proper" set with a standard isolated manifold.
That being said.
If you can get these tested and filled I would take them apart and use them for pool training or something like that.
Yes, Like the other guys here mentioned. I can split them in two 7liters singles and use them in the swimming-pool. Although I already have a 5 and a 6 liter tank for in the swimming-pool. I am almost sure that these are 300 bar (4500 PSI) tanks. so I could also use them for open-water dives. Normally I use 10 liters what is enough for 1 hour shallow dives, like normal here in the Netherlands as you know :)
If they’re DIN, split them and use as singles. Or use them as independent cylinders on a soft band set, or use hard bands (standard bands)
Yes I can use them as singles. My second choice .
Are the cylinder neck threads M25x2 or G3/4 BSP?
I don't know the neck is smaller then my regular 10 and 12 liter tanks.
If M25x2, get another manifold.
It's a consideration. I will investigate it
Are they in test?
No, I let them tested in the winter. If they don't pass I can convert them to lamps :wink:
That mesh will rust out your tanks
Mesh is very common here in the Netherlands, where we use mostly steel painted tanks. these tanks are very well painted. I don't have any rust-problems.

Old out of test cylinders should be cheap or come with a "refund if failed test" guarantee.

That "manifold" thing is best not used. If it is then you must have rigid bands to ensure the cylinders cannot move relative to each other. Either use as an independent twinset or get a "modern" manifold.

The valves might be difficult to use underwater.

Hopefully they'll pass their test. They look in reasonable condition, but the condition inside is what counts.

If you separate them they make a lovely set, very handy shallow solo. They’re very close together with that manifold.

Attachments

• IMG_0443.jpeg
    IMG_0443.jpeg
    154.4 KB · Views: 33
If you separate them they make a lovely set, very handy shallow solo. They’re very close together with that manifold.
I am not in for solodiving, but I understand what you mean. redundancy :wink:

Old out of test cylinders should be cheap or come with a "refund if failed test" guarantee.
I bought it from a fellow diver and it is on pressure. I will see if they pass the test.
That "manifold" thing is best not used. If it is then you must have rigid bands to ensure the cylinders cannot move relative to each other. Either use as an independent twinset or get a "modern" manifold.
I found out myself. The distance between the tanks is not adjustable with this DIN manifold. I will take a closer look if I can change the manifold. I don't think so without also change the valves.
The valves might be difficult to use underwater.
Only one way to find out :cool: .
Hopefully they'll pass their test. They look in reasonable condition, but the condition inside is what counts.
Indeed. The seller was confident that they will pass, After the test I will know.

Back
Top Bottom