• you and a buddy

Votes: 94 74.6%
  • three other divers

Votes: 11 8.7%
  • more than three other divers

Votes: 6 4.8%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I prefer to dive with one buddy, but I do make exceptions and dive as a trio in situations where the three of us know each other well and have dove with each before. I have encountered uncomfortable situations when a person has asked if they could "tag along" with my buddy team to watch us hunt. I expressed that I preferred they not.

Originally posted by divrnr
It's like climbing, the most experienced is the leader and has final say no matter what the others say...

Are you saying that if one of your dive buddies wanted to call a dive because they were uncomfortable with the conditions, that the dive leader would override those objections and continue the dive anyway?

Dive often, but dive safe

John

I enjoy diving with family & friends in a group as long as I have a designated buddy. It's hard to be responsible for more than one. I did find that if I can't see everyone within a couple of minutes, it was a bit stressful. For low visability, one buddy is enough!
Dawn

Cave Diver, when I climb I only climb within the limits of the least experienced climber and if they are having a problem we call it. Same with diving, I've had a rookie have problems and we aborted and took him back to shore and then went back and continued diving. Was it a pain in the a$$, yea, but the team is only as strong as it's weakest link...

In cold, low visibility conditions, I prefer just one buddy. Particularly when we're exploring a new site, it's a heck of a lot easier to make decisions with (and keep track of) just one other person. In Monterey, I dive almost exclusively with my girlfriend.

On the other hand, when it's warm and clear and you're jumping off a boat and not going deep, a group can be a lot of fun...

Just one buddy is best I think. While I enjoy the comaraderie of divers, you dive to look at the scenery, not a whole bunch of other divers flapping around. My last dive had 26 divers on board which was pretty crowded.

I must say I love going for a dive after work in summer.
Just head down to the beach and jump in, it is wonderful way to relax after a long day, and the last thing I want to worry about is a buddy.

SO I usually go alone, of course I carry a pony for redundent supply. I would have to say I have seen more and enjoyed my solo diving more than most with a buddy.

Chris

While I don't dive alone on every dive I do go without an assigned buddy most of the time. The dive shop I dive with does a lot of training of new divers and has many divers that return to dive on their vacations once or twice a year. I dive several times a month, dive with a computer using Nitrox and have 100 cuft tanks. Most divers on the boat are on air with little experience and no computer. The bottoms times would be so short if I dove with one of them that I prefer to just go alone.

Just remember you need to be confident and well trained with well maintained equipment and a redundent air supply if you're going to try this.

Scott

It all depends on the dive I am doing. If I am palying around in the quarry, I like to dive alone. My buddy will be there, but we pretty much go our seperate ways. If I am cave diving, then I prefer it to be me and my buddy, and possibly a third. Any more than that, and it gets too crowded. If I am in the ocean, 1 or two people with me is more than enough.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom