How many people a year die while ....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't think anyone would argue that shark behavior is completely unaffected by feeding. They do, after all, congregate around the food when they normally wouldn't be there. They also congregate around dead whales... so I for one would be hard pressed to label the modification "detrimental." If there's any negative impact on the sharks themselves it's minimal - they get back to their regular routine pretty quickly after a feed, from what I've seen.
Increased risk? Well, this mishap sort of nails that one down, doesn't it? Yes, there's increased risk when compared to just diving in the same area without chumming for sharks.
The delimma comes with the cost/benefit analysis. Given that sharks in general are under pressure worldwide from overfishing and that getting realistic enforceable limits are difficult if not impossible, the only real way to protect them is to greatly reduce the demand for shark deaths, a demand driven mostly by sharkfin soup (and to a lesser degree, shark meat) popularity and a general misconception in much of the world's (human) mind that "the only good shark is a dead shark."
Reducing these "death pressure" demands is a matter of education - on the fallacies and myths, flavors and nutrition in the soup and on the animals themselves. With reference to shark dives, the question then becomes whether the increased risk of congregating sharks and divers together on purpose is warranted by the spreading of "the word" about the animals to the public at large.
I tend to think it is... but I doubt the family of this incident's victim would agree.
From a purely political perspective, given that I don't believe feeding has any significant or lasting adverse affect on the sharks themselves, I think that when it comes to shark dives, governments ought to let folks take any risks they want to take (it's a difficult concept these days, I know... we call it "freedom"), and that no one should be able to sue anyone over injuries that flow from choosing to participate in the risky activity. I especially don't want this particular camel's nose under the tent because if anyone ever really looks at diver/shark run-ins they'll discover that shark dives ain't risky at all, but spearfishing is, and they'll want some pointy-headed bureaucrat to keep me from my favorite method of putting tasty meat on the table.
Rick

Rick,

I think a major difference between spearfishing and a shark dive is the spearo knows the risk and takes it upon him/herself while it seems that only lip service is given to the dangers of participating in a shark feeding dive.

Rachel

These dives remind me of something. When I was a kid it was common to go to garbage dumps to park and watch the bears that would come in at night.

Some folks were smart enough to stay in their cars and just watch. Others, just had to get out of the car with their camera. Some of them got into trouble and it wasn't long before all the dumps were closed to bear watchers.

Nothing quite like the site of a camera toting tourist who gets caught between a sow and her cubs.

Has marketing moved the action from the north woods garbage dumps to the ocean or what? One thing is certain, though, and that is that tourists haven't changed. LOL

... One thing is certain, though, and that is that tourists haven't changed. ...
Indeed...
Nor have the hucksters. If you read The Innocents Abroad by Twain and then take a trip to Europe, you'll still meet all the characters in the book :)
Rick

Rick,

I think a major difference between spearfishing and a shark dive is the spearo knows the risk and takes it upon him/herself while it seems that only lip service is given to the dangers of participating in a shark feeding dive.

Rachel

I know you addressed this to Rick. But, there are several of us in the discussion.

This strikes right to the point I made; it is up to the individual to decide just how much drama they want in their lives. It is difficult to believe that anyone could actually believe that being in the water with feeding large animals is not dangerous. Further, I expect that the liability release these folks use probably spells it out pretty well.

We talk about individual freedom and individual rights. Well, along with that comes the right to suffer the consequences of that freedom.

There is an argument to be made, however, that our culture of the government "keeping us safe" does dull our citizens ability to think and to discern danger as well as to cope with something other than our artificial techno reality.

It truly is the difference between me KNOWING that I'm going to have an encounter with a hungry shark when I'm spearing and the dive op saying, "don't worry, it's fine, just sign right here, it's only a formality." I have no issue with people taking their lives to whatever level of risk they choose but when the risks are minimized for profit I start feeling a little icky.

R

It truly is the difference between me KNOWING that I'm going to have an encounter with a hungry shark when I'm spearing and the dive op saying, "don't worry, it's fine, just sign right here, it's only a formality." I have no issue with people taking their lives to whatever level of risk they choose but when the risks are minimized for profit I start feeling a little icky.

R

You should feel "icky". But, this situation is no different than countless business transactions we all engage in on a daily basis. The goal of business is to make a profit. It is only illegal or unethical when the business breaks the rules. I have seen nothing posted that indicates in any way that any part of the business broke any law or ethical constraint.

Lets' see now; a person is going into shark infested waters where the sharks are hungry and are going to be fed while the person is in close proximity to the feeding sharks. The operator says: "don't worry, its fine, just sign here, it's only a formality". Now how can that person possibly not be aware of the potential danger? I submit that knowledge of the danger from sharks is so widespread that no person, let alone a diver, can be ignorant to the extent you propose. In fact in the human world the danger is, if anything, overstated.

In fact, when I tell people I scuba dive the number one reason given for them not doing the same is fear of sharks. That is the general public, not trained divers.

Nope, the divers may suffer from deception; but it is self-deception, if at all. The operator is just doing what businesses do; providing a service and making a living from it. The sharks were doing what sharks do; getting the easiest meal available and living.

You should feel "icky". But, this situation is no different than countless business transactions we all engage in on a daily basis. The goal of business is to make a profit. It is only illegal or unethical when the business breaks the rules. I have seen nothing posted that indicates in any way that any part of the business broke any law or ethical constraint.

Lets' see now; a person is going into shark infested waters where the sharks are hungry and are going to be fed while the person is in close proximity to the feeding sharks. The operator says: "don't worry, its fine, just sign here, it's only a formality". Now how can that person possibly not be aware of the potential danger? I submit that knowledge of the danger from sharks is so widespread that no person, let alone a diver, can be ignorant to the extent you propose. In fact in the human world the danger is, if anything, overstated.

In fact, when I tell people I scuba dive the number one reason given for them not doing the same is fear of sharks. That is the general public, not trained divers.

Nope, the divers may suffer from deception; but it is self-deception, if at all. The operator is just doing what businesses do; providing a service and making a living from it. The sharks were doing what sharks do; getting the easiest meal available and living.

I agree with quite a few of the points you make but I also think the dive industry makes sharks sound like fluffy little kittens that couldn't hurt anyone. I get the impression that many divers believe it. Heck, the dive industry makes diving sound a lot safer than it really is and divers believe that too...until something hapens.

I have been on shark feeding dives, shark dives in which we went to spot where they are normally fed (although we didn't feed them, they came to the site, hearing the boat motor in hopes of being fed) & I have seen sharks in the wild with no enticements. While the shark feeding dive was "cool" for the first time, "a been there, done that" event, (having never been around sharks at all before), it wouldn't bother me if I never went to another shark feeding dive. I much more prefer to see them completely wild & afraid of humans. When I did the shark feeding dives & when I see a shark in the wild, I realize that they are predators & that there is also the possibility that I may have moved down lower on the food chain,... so be it. I look at it the same as if I'm in a territory where there's wolves, bears, pumas,....... you get the idea. I know there is a risk, no matter how remote. I'm not going to live in a hole just because there is a "chance" that I might wind up on some critter's menu. I would rather observe them, learn about them & be educated about how we all fit into this puzzle of life on this planet. It's sad when someone loses their life to a predator, for sure, but it also serves to keep things in perspective. As a species, we're not all we think we are. I am going to look at both sides of this shark feeding debate. For those who, like me are landlocked & don't get to do ocean diving very much, it can be a "once in a lifetime" chance to learn about & encounter these creatures. On the other hand it does have some risks & they should be carefully considered by the diver before deciding to do such a dive. It should be up to individual, ADULT decision.

I also think the dive industry makes sharks sound like fluffy little kittens that couldn't hurt anyone.

I guess there are some who don't know what a "fluffy little kitten" can do with those claws & teeth, when determined. Try giving one a bath & see if you come out unscathed :catfight::D. Sorry,.... Just couldn't resist that one! :rofl3:

Back
Top Bottom