How many of you smoke?

do you smoke?

• I smoke

Votes: 73 21.3%
  • I don't smoke

Votes: 269 78.7%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gave up my pack and a half a day habit 3 and a half months after I started diving and will never go back:jester:

Never smoked never will. I grow up in a house with my Dad smoking and I couldn't stand it. So I will never do it and I don't want to be in a house with it.

But I do use smokeless tobacco (dip) and I would love to quit. I have spoke with the doc about the various programs available and he told me he use to dip too and the patches and pills don't work to well for dippers because you get so much more nicotine from dip that they don't really help with the craving so I will eventually go cold turkey.

I never dip in the morning if I am going to dive in order to stay hydrated.

Chad

Non-smoker. My heart goes out to all who do. My father smokes and my ex-husband smokes and they both have tried but haven't quit successfully yet. I live in a smoke free environment unless I burn dinner(again).
:sun:

In 7th grade I smoked about 10 cigarettes. I didn't like them. I never smoked again. Now I have found out my National Honor Society, 18 year old son, smokes. He is also a diver. Breaks my heart. What can I do? I'll email him this thread for starters.
Thx.

Scubaburt--The military is what got my Dad smoking. Same as you he noticed that the smokers got a smoke break and the non smokers got nothing.

I had heard all stuff about what a smokers lungs look like and that never impressed me. Then just about the time I started to smoke a pipe I got my first look at a smokers lung while it was still in the person. I asked the surgeon I was working what all that black stuff was in this guys lungs(lobectomy for lung cancer). The Doc looks at me and says that my friend is tar and nicotine from smoking. I was pretty stunned by that sight. No more smoking for me from that day on. The difference between a healthy lung and a smokers lung is truly amazing.

Natasha I truly wish I could send that image to your sons mind via telepathy or something.

I used to smoke but finally kicked the habit last July. I smoked off and on for the 18 years. When I was in the military, I was doing almost 2 packs a day! I stopped for a short bit then start up again. Last June, I buried my grandfather who smoked for 50 years, gave him lung cancer. That day I stopped and haven't had one since. Been getting back into shape.

Smoking + diving = hard to breath at depth + respiratory problems.

Congratulations to all that have stopped or working at stopping. To those that haven't started, BRAVO!! To those that haven't stopped yet, think about it. It will be the best thing you ever do for yourself and for the ones you love. ::steps down off the soapbox::

Natasha,
Follow this link and show him the pictures at the bottom of the page: http://www.cancer-info.com/lung.htm (Warning: Not very pretty!)

Originally posted by Natasha
What can I do

Natasha,
All I can say is tread extremely lightly, or things can backfire drastically. I still remember vividly the conversation with my father where he asked: "When are you going to cut your hair and take out your ear-rings. You'll never be successful with long hair and ear-rings". It was the worst possible thing he could have said, as it quickly became my life goal to prove him wrong... and to continue to harass them. Last night's entertainment was to stop by with shorts on to subtly introduce the new tattoo...

If I could think of anything my parents could have done or said to make me quit smoking, or cut my hair, or go on the 'straight and narrow', I would tell you... but unfortunately the lessons I've learned I've learned on my own, and I still have many more...

Best of Luck.

I told myself 12 years ago "I'd quit smoking when it starts to hold me back". I never thought it did. The depressing thought is that I know it must have held me back along the road, and I'll never really know where I could be now if I knew now what I knew then.

I quit for a while to try and save my marriage. I started again to try to save my marriage [only those that have tried to quit smoking'll truely understand that statement :)]. I'm now starting to quit again as I begin getting my life back in order. I'm still smoking, because I'm taking things slowly this time... attacking the bad points one at a time... It's been a 3 days now, and 3 pieces of strategically timed nicorette, and we'll see how it goes...

-Jeff

I took my first cigarette in 1962.

Started smoking within a year.

By 1983, I started quitting...

I tried it many times. Sometimes I'd go for as long as a week. Usually, less.

In 1985 or 86, I did a smoking cessation class at a local hospital. Quit for a few days.

In 1994, I made it three weeks.

At least once a year a I quit. And then went back to 2+ packs a day...

And I tried Nicorette and other stuff.

In 1999, I finally quit. Two plus weeks before my 50th birthday. A total of two pieces of Nicorette, cold turkey and nightmares. But I did it.

It's been 3 years, one month and 13 days.

It's been great.

I'm running (12 miles a week), working out, diving (~75 dives in my log since Sept 2000) and feeling better than I have in many years.

I still savor a smoke when I'm in a bar. But I'll never go back to them again.

My deepest regret is not quitting back in the '60's...

And my deepest pain is I know my 19 yr old daughter smokes...

;-0

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom