How many of you smoke?

do you smoke?

• I smoke

Votes: 73 21.3%
  • I don't smoke

Votes: 269 78.7%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

P-tuie, p-tuie, p-tuie!

Does that adequately convey my feeings about the nasty little buggers?

Happy Diving,

Scuba-sass :)

Don't smoke anymore but did when I was young and crazy

I have a dive buddy that took a cigarette and a lighter down to the air pocket in the Wolfe Islander ll shipwreck at 65 feet and tryed to have a smoke, he got about 3 puffs on it and it went out. I guess it's a little hard with wet hands:whack:

Yes i do smoke, but it is a filthy habit that i am trying to get rid of, I fiqure ,the more i dive the less i will smoke, hard to keep them lit underwater.

Scubaddawg

Get Wet or Go Home!

Started in the third grade... we'd smoke anything that'd burn, rolled up in a piece of paper or shredded and stuffed in a corn-cob pipe. Anyone else out there ever smoked an "Indian Cigar?" (Catawba pod (Catalpa bignonioides))... By junior high we'd progressed to tobacco. By the time the studies on its ill effects came out in the late 60's I was hooked.
Quit smoking 1 NOV 87; quit chewing 1 NOV 88.
Now, part of my dive brief is "If you feel the need to smoke or puke, please go to the lee gunnel to do so."
Rick

I finally totally quit about the same time my dad died of lung cancer. (Primary site) 5 months before my first was born. I admit I have cheated a time or three since then, but I'll never go back.

Tom

As a teen I was anti-smoking, so it was ironic that I picked up the habit as a fluke at age 20 and spent the next 14 years trying to get rid of it. I did acupuncture a couple of times, Nicorette prescriptions twice (this was back when you needed a prescription), hypnosis, Smokers Anonymous, all to no avail. I think I was looking for something that would make it easy. I had to face the fact that it was going to be a bear even with aides of various sorts.

Finally on my umpteenth try I managed to get off cigarettes by trying Nicorette again (and, in a pinch, chewing tobacco), eventually using them for about six months. A co-worker then sagely pointed out that I was still addicted to nicotine but just getting it in a different form. Quitting Nicorette proved at least as hard as quitting cigarettes had been. But it was probably helpful to split apart the oral habit and the physical addiction and deal with them separately.

That was about 14 years ago now. I dreamt on and off about smoking for about five years. Even now about once a year I'll have a dream that I relapsed and was smoking; I'm always extremely grateful when I wake up and realize it was just a dream.

If you've tried to quit but have gone back, don't give up and assume you're a hopeless case. I thought I was, but I did it, eventually.

Hi,
I smoked 1 1/2 to 2 packs of nonfilters a day for 30 years. I quit 11 weeks ago with the help of Zyban and the patch. At 45 years old I decided if I didn't get back into good shape now, I probably never would. I have seen some of my freinds age rather quickly. I'd like to still be healthy and diving in another 30 years!

If I can quit anybody can, You just have to want to!

congrats to all of the quitters. I stopped last year a few days after I completed my OW checkputs. I told myself that I had to quit for a whole week before I could buy my SCUBA gear. The first week seemed like forever, not just because I wasn't smoking, but because I was waiting to get back in the water with new gear of my very own!

-kate

NO, I did not smoke all the way through high school, until I joined the Air Force.
yes, I started to smoke when I found you couldn't take a break from working on the airplanes unless you smoked. So, puff, puff, puff and I was hooked.
NO, I quit in 1976 when my wife let me see what a person's lung looked like after he smoked for 20 years and died of lung cancer. It was in a petra dish and it looked like a piece of crushed charcoal. Man, I mean BLACK and granualar. Needless to say, one week later, I QUIT. Haven't smoked since. It really amazes me to see divers light up right after a dive. I congradulate all that have quit a very unhealthy habit. For those who haven't quit, please reconsider and try.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom