How Many of You Drysuit Divers Replace Your Own Seals?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bopper

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
So I just bought a used Whites Catalyst drysuit in near perfect condition. But the wrist neoprene seals wouldn't seal no matter what I did. So I took what I thought was a very brave step and ripped off the neoprene seals and replaced them with latex seals. Couldn't be happier w. the results.

I can't imagine someone paying to have this done, as it turned out to be quite simple and the bond between the latex and urethane suit feels bulletproof. You can pull as hard as you want and the bond doesn't even begin to budge (Ended up using the DAP Weldwood Contact Cement).

So what's your take on this? I know for some people, it's probably not worth their time. But when I look at my paycheck, I know this is a skill I should be familiar with. :D

EDIT: Hmmmm...not letting me add a Poll to this thread. I'll try to have the following posted later:

* I never replace my own seals
* I always replace my own seals
* I replace my wrist seals but not my neck seal
* I have a ring system and don't need to replace my seals
* I not only replace my seals but don't think twice about relocating valves and replacing boots/socks
* I have replaced a drysuit zipper...'Nuff said

I had the ring system put in my White's Fusion because of the well-documented problems they were having with the latex seals. Replacing the seals is now pretty darn easy. On a dive I did last year, our boat had three groups of divers, and the DM prepared us for the dive by identifying my buddy and me as the first group to splash, followed in fairly quick order by the other two groups. While I was putting on one of my sleeves just prior to the dive, the seal (silicone) tore in half. I was able to replace it so quickly that the only consequence was that we were the last team to splash instead of the first.

I had the ring system put in my White's Fusion because of the well-documented problems they were having with the latex seals. Replacing the seals is now pretty darn easy. On a dive I did last year, our boat had three groups of divers, and the DM prepared us for the dive by identifying my buddy and me as the first group to splash, followed in fairly quick order by the other two groups. While I was putting on one of my sleeves just prior to the dive, the seal (silicone) tore in half. I was able to replace it so quickly that the only consequence was that we were the last team to splash instead of the first.

Ditto. With DRIS's seal warranty, whenever I change out a silicone seal, I just send the old one back and they send me a new one to replace the spare I just changed out.

I service all of my gear! (minus hydro) to that note .....I have several fixtures for dry suit seals that I have made over time. I was alittle nervous on the first set of seals that I did. On completion and a trial dive, (dry) built lots of confidence in me to do it again,.....and again... and again!
I am prob my own worst critic, I just choose not to hear the others!
See you topside! John

I have replaced a number of latex wrist seals. As you said, it usually isn't a big deal (I say usually, because I'm currently struggling with one that doesn't seem to want to bond well). I have done one neck seal, on a DUI suit, and as long as you have access to a T-bottle to put the neck of the suit over, that's pretty easy, too. I think I'll stick to letting the pros do the zippers. Zippers don't need replacing that often.

I always do my wrist seals - as do most of my dive buddies. It is EXTREMELY easy. Easy to the point where I probably replace them prematurely instead of having to deal with a failure on the boat. Seals are cheap when you do them yourself.

I'm hardly an expert, but I just got through replacing the neck seal.

I purchased a variable temperature hobby iron which made removing the old seal really too easy and then used a cheap rubber playground ball to put in the neck hole to keep things stretched out.

Easy job

I put a set of SiTech quick cuffs on my suit. It wasn't hard but just took some time. Now seals can be changed easily right at the dive site.

I don't fix anything myself anymore. I used to put my own pee valves in. Then one day I accidentally screwed up the install. What I found humorous was that I spent 12 dollars on Aqua-Seal to put the pee valve in, but Gamble Scuba only charged me $20 bucks to install it correctly. For 8 bucks difference, I'll let the professionals screw with my suit.

I never replaced the seals as I have rings but I did replace my boots and relocated the exhaust valve.
The savings were enough to get another stage reg set.

From all types of glue that we tried to use with my buddy PB300 seems to be the best.

I now fix all my gear less the hydro and my wifes regs which are on PFL program. But I do it mostly not because of the savings but because I enjoy it.

Back
Top Bottom