How many of you dry divers had formal training

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I watched the video and did an informal pool dive with my instructor. But no formal course

oversea:
How many of you dry divers had formal training? ie. dive shop instruction for a specialty. On the other hand, how many just did it on their own? How about some opinions from experience?
I read up on it and then took my suit into a diveshop pool for a while.

I then went on a boat and practiced in about ten feet of water. The captain and divemaster laughed their butts off while I made pretty much every mistake.

I would not argue with anyone who wanted to follow that plan or take a course. If someone is willing to put in the effort, either will work.

I'm pretty much self taught.I spent about an hour in the pool, then I spent 2 days up in Dutch Springs quarry before jumping in the ocean.

In my opinion, anything that requires acquiring a new set of skills is better done under the supervision of trained eyes, whether there's a fee involved or not. After doing some research, I found out that ALL the dive shops in my area (offering drysuit courses) also applied the course fee towards the purchase of a drysuit. Lakeland Divers did a presentation on dry-suits in their shop, and shortly after I took their course. They gave me the chance to try several models until I found one that I liked more.

Personally, it was a great investment of time. Learning skills under professional eyes, does certainly save A LOT of time (and money!) not to mention that you network with other divers with similar interests. I also bought a book and DVD as back-up material.

Two days in the quarry, the first one making me feel like a total rookie and the next one far better. I just did two more dives today and I'm more convinced that I made the right decision in getting the training, and selecting the suit that I liked. Still playing with the buoyancy (relying on DS only for now), sometimes feels great, sometimes sloppy, but that's part of the learning process. I think you'll have a lot of fun and learn a lot more (and at a faster rate) by taking a course, unless of course, you have lots of spare time to practice on your own. Have fun and be safe. Coach Izzy

hoosier:
That's what I thought, self-training and some advices. However, my LDS kept saying that you HAVE TO take DS class like saying that you must have to buy your reg from LDS, not from online stores.

I was at our LDS yesterday and told two different instructors I'd just purchased a used Drysuit and asked their advice. Neither one suggested I need to take a class, and both said that they thought I'd do fine.

They have both dived with me, so that was encouraging. Interesting that when I told the sales rep I'd just found a used Drysuit he immediately when into a speal about the PADI Dry Class, and attempted to get me to sign up TODAY so I could get 20% off the materials, where are priced about 100% more than I can get them for online.

I actually won a Drysuit class, but it's not until Nov at the eariliest. I'll take it just for the excuse to dive the Hole, but by that time I'll have dived dry at least for two dives, and likely many more.

Daryl Morse:
I did OW in a neoprene drysuit...snip...which I continue to use. I've never dived in a wetsuit. Some of the OW/AOW training was focussed on using the drysuit, but I didn't take the drysuit specialty.

What he said (at least a slightly edited version :wink:)

Nauticalbutnice :fruit:

Took the class in conjunction with AOW. Being a Texan, I figure having a C card will eliminate any problems if I was traveling and needed to rent one. Other than that, I think the greatest advantage of the class is being able to learn what you want before putting out alot of money.

oversea:
How many of you dry divers had formal training? ie. dive shop instruction for a specialty. On the other hand, how many just did it on their own? How about some opinions from experience?

I had formal training. Most dive shops that sell you a drysuit, often include the drysuit specialty course for free.... well... not all of them I guess.

Never took a course...hence in the first time out I had two feet first assents< only from 15', but I also was wearing too much and trapped air.. couldn't move it out of my feet at all....... I was never offered a drysuit specialty course when I purchased my suit.

Firediver:
Never took a course...hence in the first time out I had two feet first assents< only from 15', but I also was wearing too much and trapped air.. couldn't move it out of my feet at all....... I was never offered a drysuit specialty course when I purchased my suit.

In 1974 I bought a BC and learned how to use it - thought it was great. The next year I removed the CO2 detonator and mounted a power inflator valve on the stud. Again, no one showed me how to use it but I figured it out and was convinced it was the best invention since Cousteau's original "aqua-lung". In 1978 I bought my first dry suit. No one trained me how to dive it but I managed. At that time no formal instruction in how to use any of these devices was available. If someone had suggested a dry suit certification class he would have been laughed at. How times have changed!

Back
Top Bottom