How many of you dry divers had formal training

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'd have to agree on the nex-gen. Been diving it since OW and have no regrets. Attached pockets and drygloves, and it's good to go. Price was right too.

Taught myself... read as much as I could, took it to the pool twice for some trial and error and recovery drills and then went diving. It's not rocket science.

Dry suit was the hardest piece of gear to get used to. At least try it out in the pool for a while with someone who really knows how to use it. If you have a lake or quarry you can step up to afterwards it would be a good idea. Have fun and dive safe.

oversea:
How many of you dry divers had formal training? ie. dive shop instruction for a specialty. On the other hand, how many just did it on their own? How about some opinions from experience?

Here in Vancouver the two dive shops I'm familiar with will not sell a drysuit without training or proof of training (of some sort). The purchase price includes a training dive(s), depending on the person that's a pool intro and then an ocean dive or just an ocean dive -- when I bought my first one I went out to the ocean with the instructor from the shop and went through the drills -- detach and re-attaching the inflator, getting put head down with my feet full of air and having to right myself etc.

ernie

Self taught solo dives - for my first two drysuit dives I just jumped off the boat, headed down to 10 meters and fooled around for a while. Took me around 12 dives to fully trust the autovent on the suit when ascending though: I had a fear of making a run away accent. I'd recommend doing the course/going with a experienced diver so you get more comfortable quicker. Practising accents and stops in shallow water helped a lot.

Cheers,
Rohan.

took a one-dive class with our very own GDI

very good investment

oversea:
How many of you dry divers had formal training? ie. dive shop instruction for a specialty. On the other hand, how many just did it on their own? How about some opinions from experience?

Spent 40 mins in a pool with an experienced user and that was it and all thats needed.

Although it needs SOME advice off an experienced user a dry suit is not rocket science. It certainly does not need a paid for speciality course.

oversea:
My LDS gives a drysuit course with the purchase of a new Drysuit
Chris

oversea:
I did OW in a neoprene drysuit and AOW in a shell drysuit, which I continue to use. Except for diving in Australia, I've never dived in a wetsuit. Some of the OW/AOW training was focussed on using the drysuit, but I didn't take the drysuit specialty. If you have a dive buddy who is experienced using a drysuit, you probably don't need to take the drysuit specialty.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom