How many of you dry divers had formal training

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Slapped that old Uni-suit on and went for it. Somehow survived the experience. Honestly, i found the hardest part to be figuring out how to get in & out of that thing with its center, up the crotch zipper.

gedunk:
Slapped that old Uni-suit on and went for it. Somehow survived the experience. Honestly, i found the hardest part to be figuring out how to get in & out of that thing with its center, up the crotch zipper.

I am considering also getting the uni-suit (or henderson) and going for it.

oversea:
I am considering also getting the uni-suit (or henderson) and going for it.

Hook-up with some divers who have been diving dry for awhile.

Drysuits are not difficult, but they can be a little problematic to start off with especially for the less experienced diver.

If you have ZERO knowlege and dont know anyone in the are that dives dry and can give you advice, then you should seek out some expert advice or instruction.

If you are diving in an area where drysuits are very common and you understand the basic concepts, then talk to other divers experienced din drysuit diving, do a couple of "putzing around practicing bouyancy in my new drysuit dives" and you will probably be fine.

It is when we way overstep our limits that we have problems, but extending our limits gradually, step by step that we gain expertise. Patience is a great virtue in diving.

oversea:
How many of you dry divers had formal training? ie. dive shop instruction for a specialty. On the other hand, how many just did it on their own? How about some opinions from experience?

I took a class and found it very beneficial. Instructor is right there to physically demonstrate procedures underwater.

--Matt

Mine was a PADI cert. WOW did I ever learn a lot! Not. I consider myself self taught.

I'm finishing the specialty next week. Since I did most of the dives in conjunction with my advanaced class, I only need one dive to gain the specialty. My experience is that it was worthwhile. It took about four dives before everything really starting comming together. With an instructor, their responsbility is to watch what you are doing. I found that making an ascent from 99 feet, I was having trouble getting some of excess the air out. My instructor noticed and taught me my mistake. I wasn't rolling my right shoulder down enough. It was little things like this that made a formal class worthwhile. Friends may teach you properly, but instructors are required to.

My friend is an instructor. He invited me down to the pool one Saturday morning to try it out. I hung upside down in the pool for like 3 hours and watched my then-BF take his OW class. It was fun. :) There were two students that were SO thrilled to be breathing underwater, they kept waving at me from across the pool.
"Hi!" Hi!" "Hi!!" :happywave
It made me giggle.

Then we went to Dutch Springs and that was not so much fun.
I do have to tell you, though, I love that vacuum-sealed-bag-of-coffee feeling you get when you open the zipper and air whooshes into your suit.

I got formal instruction and training, was fun with an instructor who knew what was going on.

SueMermaid:
I do have to tell you, though, I love that vacuum-sealed-bag-of-coffee feeling you get when you open the zipper and air whooshes into your suit.
Gotta love the whoosh :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom