How many of you dive with a PLB and/or a flint and magnesium?

Do you dive with a PLB on you?

• yes

Votes: 3 11.5%
  • no

Votes: 23 88.5%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I expect the helicopter guys will be able to see my 21W HID, night vision goggles or not! (Those goggles are great--it scares the heck out of me now thinking about the night medivacs we used to go on before the pilots had them.)

It's the same with my video lights, very bright and it's always with me on dives. But they only last so long and with those night vision goggles, they only need a low power light. The kind with a beacon would stand out.

Even though they can see you at night with those goggles, first they need to know your missing and in what area - that's where the PLB comes in. It's so small I can't even tell it's there.

So just curious if anyone out there dives regularly with a plb and possible flint/magnesium?

not regularly with any of the above, but there is no way I would dive in a remote/high current location again without a PLB, probably rent vs. buy though.

not regularly with any of the above, but there is no way I would dive in a remote/high current location again without a PLB, probably rent vs. buy though.

You can rent those - with canister? Hmm, mine required registration with NOAA. I suppose it could be registered to a boat/shop and then rented out. They just would have to contact the shop to find out who or what it's on.

You can rent those - with canister? Hmm, mine required registration with NOAA. I suppose it could be registered to a boat/shop and then rented out. They just would have to contact the shop to find out who or what it's on.

yep, some liveaboards / dive ops rent them in remote areas, if I recall correctly friends of mine mentioned the option on their Mona Islands liveaboard trip.

yep, some liveaboards / dive ops rent them in remote areas, if I recall correctly friends of mine mentioned the option on their Mona Islands liveaboard trip.

So if you set one off in the Mona Islands, who gets the call? I would guess that either the USN or USAF would have jurisdiction for international areas when a US registered beacon is set off, but then when located in Siberia who comes? Do they send your family a bill first and if its paid go looking?:rofl3:

I'm sure the rented ones are locally registered or they could be of a different type like the SPOT's or other radio signaling device.

Edit: More searching and I discovered there are Mona Is. in Puerto Rico too -hmm guessing US Coast Guard for that area. I've never heard of Mona Islands before this.:shocked2:

Last edited:
So if you set one off in the Mona Islands, who gets the call? I would guess that either the USN or USAF would have jurisdiction for international areas when a US registered beacon is set off, but then when located in Siberia who comes? Do they send your family a bill first and if its paid go looking?:rofl3:

I'm sure the rented ones are locally registered or they could be of a different type like the SPOT's or other radio signaling device.

Edit: More searching and I discovered there are Mona Is. in Puerto Rico too -hmm guessing US Coast Guard for that area. I've never heard of Mona Islands before this.:shocked2:

:rofl3: interesting questions, I have no clue about all that. Looked around, could not find a lot of liveaboards advertising it, found this one example or epirbs/plb's for drift dives

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom