How many dives did you have?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My first was at 10, sence thin 3 more. I injoy diving with my 3 frinds but thay work days and I work nights. I dive less then 60' as all my solo dives have been on the Brakers here in West Palm, Fl. Love it.

About 5 dives. This was back in 1986 and I was just certified. My Instructor was an old school 1960's type of diver. He was in charge of our local Search and Rescue Team. There was a drowning at a beach in about 10 feet of water and a bunch of divers were on vacation.

They were short of divers and called me to help. The instructor told me and another diver to do a pattern. The other guy wanted to check out a trench on a tow bar so he handed me a line and told me what to do. a lot of people were solo diving so I did not think much of it. My Instructor chewed him a new one when he got back.

I have done a lot of training since then. Last year I made over 200 dives for fossils. All but 5 or 6 were solo. I really prefer it now.

After learning the need to quick decend on wrecks over 200 ft.; I noticed the majority of other divers would either miss the wreck because of strong currents or late boat exits etc.(Note: because of high currents many wrecks cannot be grappled factoring CO2 buildup trying to pull down the line)I learned that many dives were beginning to be solo's. In fact my first 300' dive was a solo as I hit the wreck and the other two divers(both with silent submersion scooters) never found it.I have accepted the fact that the long trip down to these stationary wrecks in a very unstationary ocean forces one to depend on himself as his his best and perhaps only dive buddy. I prefer a "solid" dive buddy to enjoy the dive with but never depend on him for my dive plan. Whether in the ocean or in a cave, when I submerge, I have checked all equipment for accountability and workability, analyzed all mixes(and marked all deco bottles according to mix and mod depth) and conducted pre breathing tests on all regs and BCD's. I always carry either a redundant BCD or alternate bouyancy device such as an 80lb lift marking bouy. Swimming up a set of 108's plus deco bottles would be impossible without bouyancy assistance.I also carry a spare mask spare trimix computer,printed deco plan and bottom timer. On solo cave dives I stage a buddy bottle of an 80 cf with bottom mix that is never used unless an emergency arises. Some people have criticized my solo trimix diving but in the reality of such diving; it comes with the turf. I occasionaly intentionally do trimix solo's. I figure at least I knew it going in and never had to speculate as to the fate of the other non accounted for divers who didn't arrive on the wreck. In cave diving, another light in the cave is a comforting feeling but some cave areas lend themselves better to solo diving. A tight silty tunnel that is impossible not to silt out is still fun for the lead diver but a nightmare for anyone behind him as I once ok'd a line 2000 ft before finally getting misdirected by a T on the line and found myself alone on a connecting passage. Finally realizing my mistake, I went back to my last connecting line and was quite relieved to see that the cave had settled down and flushed out by the current and enjoyed the dive much more as a solo dive. In conclusion; anyone who criticizes solo diving simply doesn't understand diving in general.

I've been diving Vortex Spring mostly solo. I've also been group diving without an assigned buddy, and more or less did my own thing for my most recent Key Largo dives, except for my dive on the Spiegel-Grove, where a buddy and I teamed up. I now have a grand total of 20 dives. Solo diving isn't something that I'll make a habit of in unfamiliar places, but I don't have any particular fear of it, either. Since being certified, I've always assumed that I'm pretty much on my own, even when diving with a buddy, and that I'm there to help my buddy.

I started solo right after OW but I did it a little at a time learning the invierment. and still. about killed my self ! This is not somthing to be taken lightly. You need to be able to know your self. And have alot of self control if you mess up and freak out you are going to die !!! :11doh:
But if you listen to your gut and think first it is a great thing. Remember gear cannot take the place of your brain. And if you get narked your brain will bit you in the a##.

The depth + water temp + Energy used all go into the whole problem. I took a hit at 60' + 45 deg F + a hard swim for about 300'.
I got thu it but I'm also smarter now becuse of it. I thought I was smarter than that think every dive thru 1,2,3 maybe 4 then down time.
GOOD LUCK :14:

It was my 23rd dive. It was my second night dive, and my first dive in 32degree water. It was in the St. Lawrence river in February, wearing a wetsuit.

It was very cold and very fun. What a rush!

Of course I should be dead now. Not recommended to anyone.

swankenstein:
I figure if you're going to kill yourself solo diving, then you're probably still going to kill yourself diving with a buddy, plus you'll endanger their life as well.
Oops. I promised myself I wouldn't get involved with religious discussions like solo diving, but I was carried away in the passion of the moment.

between 20-30. but then again it was in a bay that went 3m at high tide, so if there was a problem you could stand up and walk home :D

90% of my dives have been solo since then....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom