How many dives did you have?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My OW was in dutch springs.
My first dive after getting my c-card signed, started as a 3-buddy, and 1/2 way through it, my buddies ditched me.(one-a fellow student, the other-his close friend) We visited the stripped-down remains of the chopper, went inside to make it a "penetration dive" :eyebrow: dropped to the 2nd thermocline, one guy kneeled on the quarry bottom for the heck of it, then we navigated to the P51, I wrote my name in the silt, and we headed back to the training dock underwater. When we reached the uw platforms, we all stopped a moment to watch an advanced class tenderize the deck with their knives. When I turned back, my buddies were gone. I started the "lostbuddy", and due to the fact that I was underweighted & in the bottom 3rd, the moment I hit 20ft, I went totally positive. I spent my safety-stop upside-down, battling w/ the deflator hose, kicking hard to maintain depth, wishing there was a rear-dump, and trying to work my way over to the uplines @ the corners of the platforms 20ft. away. I eventually reached them, pulled myself down to 16ft., hung-on till my tank was around 200, and hoped for the best.

While I was clinging to the rope, trying to slow my heartbeat, and maximize my reserve air, I reflected on the buddy system, and how it was exactly what I expected.:coffee: When we dive with an average diver, we're all diving solo. Some people just can't handle the truth.

Several minutes after my surface swim back to the dock, my buddies surfaced, safely, in the cove and swam over to the dock, asking me where'd I gone. :rofl3:

My dives are predominantly solo, with a surface tender.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom