How many divers never come back?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

robbcayman

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I was thinking about this the other day. There are thousands of divers who descend on Cozumel every year. How many of them perish or disappear diving? Are there any stats out there? Let's just say from the last decade. I think diving is relatively safe, but anything can happen. There might be less deaths from diving than from auto accidents on the island in the same decade study.

There might be less deaths from diving than from auto accidents on the island in the same decade study.

Easily. Reading a local rag, someone is always getting killed on the roads.

Morbid.

I was thinking about this the other day. There are thousands of divers who descend on Cozumel every year. How many of them perish or disappear diving?

The number is -

1) Too many for certain cliques to cringe at posts like this and want them deleted or ridicule them, as the discussion of anything that isn't rainbows or praise of Cozumel is considered trolling...

2) Not enough to be statistically a concern as the number is so low, the number itself is evidence of how professional the dive industry is there, and safe Cozumel is as a dive destination relative to the huge amount of dives conducted their annually.

Too many for certais n cliques to cringe at posts like this and want them deleted or ridicule them...

Not enough to be statistically a concern as the number is so low, the number is evidence of how professional the dive industry is there, and safe Cozumel is as a dive destination, relative to the huge amount of dives conducted their annually.

Agreed. A lot of my friends that don't dive and see me as a big risk taker. Many have even suggested I stop due to the risks. I always reply that I am more likely to be killed in an auto accident. I wanted some stats to back that hunch up. I have no clue how many divers disappear or die in Coz each year. I do know I have seen a tourist first hand die on a scooter.

And I thought the question referred to divers who came for a visit and decided to make Cozumel home...

There are thousands of immersions here every day and the number of divers who disappear is miniscule -- I guestimate 2-3 during a "bad" year. There are many years when none disappear.

There are usually a number of diver heart attacks each year -- in the water, on a boat or on a pier. More prevalent problems for divers are animal encounters (various stings and bites), various types of barotrauma, decompression illness, and accidents while boarding boats, on moving boats, and getting hit by boats and propellers.

In Cozumel, the #1 cause of tourist death -- by an overwhelming margin compared to other causes -- is vehicle accident.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom