How many divers are dog lovers/owners?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Have 2 dogs here..My girl "CJ" a husky/ylw lab mix 5yo from New Rochelle shelter and my boy "Murphy" a german shepard/goldie mix 4 yo from a foster home/rescue group out of Brooklyn.Both love to swim off my boat in New Rochelle when it is not used for diving.

Ooo! Me me me! I am dog lover, too! We have two beautiful Rhodesian Ridgebacks. They don't come out diving with us but love to hit the beach. When we travel we are lucky enough to have a whole line of people ready to come house & pet sit for us :)

Tilly being a goof and annoying Dora
CIMG2520.jpg

Ooo! Me me me! I am dog lover, too! We have two beautiful Rhodesian Ridgebacks. They don't come out diving with us but love to hit the beach. When we travel we are lucky enough to have a whole line of people ready to come house & pet sit for us :)

Tilly being a goof and annoying Dora
CIMG2520.jpg

That is so cute! It's like the one on the left is like, "YAY WATER!!!" and the one on the right is like "Quit splashin' me"

Well, if some of you all remember, this spring, I had a thread about having to put my 4yr old Labrador to sleep in May because of cancer:depressed:. After a VERY busy summer & some time to heal, I am just now starting to look for that very special puppy to open my heart to again. Hopefully very soon I'll be able to report a new adopted family member:blinking:. If anyone has any ideas or suggestions,... I'm open. The only thing I know I'm looking for is preferably a purebred, larger dog with short hair.

Again my heart goes out for your loss Tstorm. How about a shelter pup needing a good home? or even an older one that just needs a chance? that is how we found bear. i can't believe what a good dog he has been, and someone gave him up!

Well, if some of you all remember, this spring, I had a thread about having to put my 4yr old Labrador to sleep in May because of cancer:depressed:. After a VERY busy summer & some time to heal, I am just now starting to look for that very special puppy to open my heart to again. Hopefully very soon I'll be able to report a new adopted family member:blinking:. If anyone has any ideas or suggestions,... I'm open. The only thing I know I'm looking for is preferably a purebred, larger dog with short hair.

So sorry to hear about your loss. I am a foster home for Labrador Retriever Rescue of Florida and just wanted to add my two cents. I have fostered four labs this year, all happened to be purebred owner surrenders. The reasons...divorce, digging out of yard after being left there 8 hours a day alone and moving. GREAT dogs down on their luck...I am another vote for rescue and just wanted to let you know my side and the great dogs that have come through my home. Here is a rescue in KY Kentucky Lab Rescue, Inc.
Good luck and keep us posted:) If you have any questions, please feel free to PM me:)

I second the suggestion to head to the shelters and rescues - there are rescue organizations for every breed and you'd be surprised at the variety of dogs they get in (everything from really youngun's to older dogs, for instance). Many of the dogs there don't have any real problems - just sucky first owners. You get the best of both worlds - the breed you want at way less than from a breeder and you are doing a very good thing!

Of course, large breed, short hair means a Rhodesian Ridgeback :D IF you have time for them...they can be a bit needy and when they feel their needs aren't being met, they turn a bit destructive just so you're clear on your neglect of them LOL

This is a bit of a hijack of the OPs thread ... maybe we should move it to it's own Search for a new dog thread!

I remember. I teared up reading it. We've been in the same situation.

Boxer boxer boxer. I've been around them my entire life and they are high energy, but one of the sweetest dogs you'll ever be around. Short hair, between 50 and 70 lbs. Just look at Shelby, our little girl:

IMG_0720.jpg

And with her best friend - our one year old...
IMG_0775.jpg

I second the suggestion to head to the shelters and rescues - there are rescue organizations for every breed and you'd be surprised at the variety of dogs they get in (everything from really youngun's to older dogs, for instance). Many of the dogs there don't have any real problems - just sucky first owners. You get the best of both worlds - the breed you want at way less than from a breeder and you are doing a very good thing!

Of course, large breed, short hair means a Rhodesian Ridgeback :D IF you have time for them...they can be a bit needy and when they feel their needs aren't being met, they turn a bit destructive just so you're clear on your neglect of them LOL

This is a bit of a hijack of the OPs thread ... maybe we should move it to it's own Search for a new dog thread!

Rescue may not be a bad idea. Although I know the general outcome of shelter animals, I'm a little shy about adopting from the local shelter here. I worked as a Vet Tech for about 6yrs & saw first hand that the local shelter,here, has real issues with disease control. Too many times did I see heart broken clients lose their new shelter pet to Parvo & Distemper. Unfortunately here, the animal shelter is not high on the county's priority list for funding, so those dedicated folk do the best they can with very inadequate supplies.

Oh,... I'm very familiar with large dogs:blinking:. My family raised, showed & bred Old English Mastiffs while I was growing up. They were nothing but 200lb area rugs, but very sweet tempermented dogs that live up to their title- "The Gentle Giants".

Your Rhodesian Ridgebacks can't be any worse than my lab I had. I still have 3 holes in the walls of my house & it isn't even 7yrs old. That silly lab of mine had separation anxiety something terrible. She would resort to eating rocks. I had to have surgery on her twice to have large rocks that became lodged, removed from her gut.

Oh my! No walls eaten at our house yet - just the edge of the couch, a couple of chairs and the kitchen cabinets (we just noticed yesterday!) LOL Such a good thing she's cute!

I LOVE Mastiffs - so beautiful and cuddly!

Do check out Rescues as they really take care of their animals - it's their only priority. I know some of them will go to great lengths to home a dog in a good family, too, so you may even be able to search a little farther afield than you'd normally think about.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom