How long will my first reg last?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I still use my first reg from the 70s. Buy a brand that has a long standing reputation for service. The ability to have the parts and service available is the critical factor. Fly-by-night manufacturers come and go. They may have a good product, but if there are any parts that are specific to them, you could be out of luck. Many Dacor regs became paperweights after Mares bought them out and decided to stop supporting them.

Most regs 'die' from owner abuse/neglect, not manufacturers going bankrupt. it's pretty obvious, don't allow water (especially salt water) into the innards, don't leave the reg unnecessarily exposed to chlorine/sun/extreme temperatures/drag through coral or sand or mud. Get a commonly available brand for easy service, and hang on to any good reg tech you find, an incompetent reg tech can also damage/destroy your reg.

I've had my US Divers (Aqualung) for 22 years. Still works great!

I have yet to wear out any regulator. The rebuild kits can extend their life almost indefinitely unless they are abused.

I have out grown some of my low end regulators. They work, but are not longer favored as my primary. I simply re-purpose them as a pony regulator, backup or loaner.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom