How long to wait AFTER scuba diving BEFORE conception?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My husband and I were certified a few weeks ago. We have a big dive trip planned this July in Jordan. We will try to get pregnant starting in September. There is no chance that we will get pregnant between now and September. Is there a time frame that a woman shouldn't dive prior to conception? 1 day? 1 week? 1 month? I can't find a single answer on the internet! Thanks!

As with so many other questions on scubaboard, the answer here is the more experience, the better. More experience diving, more experience practicing all your skills and drills. :cool2:

We stopped diving the month we hoped to conceive, started taking prenatal vitamins a couple months before that. We ended up not diving at all for more than 16 years while we had four children and waited for them to be old enough to get certified. When your children turn out to be avid, skilled divers remember that you get the credit - your eggs went diving every time you did, but your husband's sperm will have no experience at all. :D

There have been many conceptions during a surface interval.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

You should probably call DAN just to see what they say, but I'd guess that as long as you don't dive after conception you'd be fine. If you feel like being super-safe (and you probably do) you could wait one month. And yes, start taking prenatal vitamins now. They don't hurt anything, and you'll get lots of good vitamins and minerals into your system.

Hi newdiver_florida,

There is no SCUBA-related reason why a healthy couple whose last dive was in July should not start on getting pregnant in September.

Best of luck.

Regards,

DocVikingo

And quite possibly some members of the 6 Fathom Club had children conceived while diving. Seriously, I'm not a medical doctor but a marine biologist and I don't remember ever hearing of a waiting period (but then I've never planned to conceive). Probably best not to dive during pregnancy though, as others have pointed out.

Many children were conceived while their parents were on their DIVE vacation.:D

Just for the record newdiver florida, there is no we in pregnant, you will be pregnant he wont !

Hi newdiver,

Concur with DocVikingo. The rest is up to y'all.

Best regards and happy baby-making,
DDM

And quite possibly some members of the 6 Fathom Club had children conceived while diving.

I understood it as the 1, 2, 3, 4, or 5 Atm. Club, not the 6 Fathom Club. I like the 6 Fathom Club better, my chances of joining go up a lot :rofl3::rofl3::rofl3::rofl3::rofl3::rofl3::rofl3::rofl3::rofl3:

Back
Top Bottom