How long should you practice buoyancy per dive without burning out

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Also, is there an issue floating on my back during the surface interval. Wading to shore and taking off/putting on gear is a bit time consuming, I'm estimating at that at 20ft a 10 - 20 min surface interval is what I will need between dives and enough time to rest.
Why do you need a surface interval? At 20 ft you have infinite NDL, so your gas supply (and thermal comfort) is what is limiting. If you get tired (cold), rest then. If you are not tired, keep going. If you are cold, get out of the water. If your goal is to increase your dive count, then just put the dives in your logbook (jk) and don't bother doing them...you are cheating either way, so you may as well save gas and time. :wink:

Coming to the surface between short dives, gives you practice on managing ascent and descents. I see no reason why you should hesitate to perform multiple dives on one tank if you are shallow and it is a reasonable number. It can be an issue with ear equalization for some people, so be cautious.

Practicing managing your buoyancy while doing an ascent/descent with no physical reference can be challenging and will be more beneficial than just hanging at one fixed depth. Don't be discouraged by negative comments, if your goal is to practice your skills.

Why do you need a surface interval? At 20 ft you have infinite NDL, so your gas supply (and thermal comfort) is what is limiting. If you get tired (cold), rest then. If you are not tired, keep going. If you are cold, get out of the water. If your goal is to increase your dive count, then just put the dives in your logbook (jk) and don't bother doing them...you are cheating either way, so you may as well save gas and time. :wink:
It does sound like a dive count thing.

I can stay on a platform for more than a hour working on skills.

Interesting dive plan. Do you have a dive buddy that has agreed to join you for this?

-Z

If there is nothing to see in the lake boredom may become a primary challenge

Not if you keep looking, I've noticed that I usually find something interesting, ot run out of gas

Feels a bit like you’re trying to pad your dive count. At those depths and as long as you have gas, why are you ending the dive at all and floating on the surface? Why not do one long dive?

As far as ‘practicing’ buoyancy, trim & kicks … that’s every dive for the entire dive. You can’t really dive without also practicing all of those skills. It’s just diving! You should be working on all of that stuff constantly. I’m got a modest 750 or so logged dives and yet I work on that stuff every minute of every dive.
I agree. I never specifically "practiced" buoyancy, just dived. After maybe 5+ post OW dives I found that I stopped and hovered to look at something without thinking about it (and I was taught the pool skills on my knees). One thing I did do sometimes was when returning to shore I'd try to constantly swim within 3 feet of the surface, where the pressure change is greatest and buoyancy control is most difficult.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom