How long should I keep using scuba gear?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

10 Yo gear are babies. My newest reg is a 2000 and I reoutinely dive 45+ yo regs and backplates. As long as you can get parts for it (hope you don't have Dacor regs) there is no reason to not keep diving it as long as it's functional and you like it. Even if your escape has issues, most Zeagle bladders are interchangable so replacing the bladder is not out of the question but my guess is it's fine.

So if you haven't outgrown your equipment and you still like the functionality of it for the sort of diving you do, there's no reason for you to invest in new gear. Take that money and go diving instead!

Amen.

I also agree with Quero about matching your gear to the type of diving you are doing.

What brand / model are the regulators? You might be able to sell them for enough to pay for a brand new set of Hogs. ( Sorry, had to. :) )

The only BCD I has problems with was a brand new, expensive one. I left it in Mexico where the dive shop still uses one of the weight pockets for a door stop. The only regulator failure I had other than sand in the seat was one that had just been serviced by a pro. I like stuff that is proven!

A lot of us "outgrow" our first gear purchases because we buy what I think of as learner gear. I know I did. I wanted gear, but I wasn't sure I was going to be doing enough diving to warrant spending the money on gear that was the best for the sort of diving I was doing
So if you haven't outgrown your equipment and you still like the functionality of it for the sort of diving you do, there's no reason for you to invest in new gear. Take that money and go diving instead!

IMO, that's not what happened to me at all. I had FOS LDS salespeople giving me horrible advice...

Instructor, Owner:
"Yes, I dive these ScubaPro Twin Jet Fins. Best fins ever and you'll never need another pair."

$250 wasted...

And so on...

Keep the gear maintained and in use on the vacations you paid with the money you saved :wink:

Wel maintain gear last a lifetime. . Also have an us diver mask that is 10 year old. All straps working and nothing leaks.. jet fins 10 year old. No surprise there. .
Thw bcd did not last that long as it has a tear from my rough housing. Still have it... can be repaired if I want to... but tried out bpw. So storwd it for a rainy day :)

If it still fits, meets your needs is in good repair and has parts availability do something more useful with your cash.

If you are craving change it's OK to indulge yourself.

Pete

It's an interesting (but hardly surprising) thought that scuba gear is not designed to break down after a relatively short lifespan so as to encourage you to replace it in the way that many ordinary consumer goods are. We are so accustomed to having to replace our blenders and washing machines after 10 or so years of use. I suppose there is a reason why regulators are machined from solid blocks of metal with precision parts and costs hundreds of dollars. Can you imagine someone manufacturing a $50 regulator made of cheap "consumer-grade" materials designed to break after a few years like a cheap home appliance?! Lawsuit city!

Back
Top Bottom