How long should I keep using scuba gear?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For what it's worth, I bought nearly all of my gear used (5-10 years old), had it serviced, and it's been serving me well so far.

Well, I'm definitely hearing a consensus here... Nice to know I could just replace the bladders on the Zeagle, I'll look into that. As far as meeting our needs everything is pretty much right, my only piece of equipment that really needs to be upgraded is computers. We have the Oceanic Versa, which only holds 9 dives, has no algorithm for nitrox, and the LCD's showing the time at depth are partially burned out on mine (not an issue during dives, as the no-deco time is in another area, and the dive time shifts to that same area during the log-reading phase, but irritating). But.. I love the simplicity of the computer, so it's been hard to part with them - and the money.

Before my next trip, at a minimum, I'll get the regs serviced and switch to shorter more flexible hoses on the main regulators (so it's not always pulling out of the mouth), and replace the mouthpieces (lugs are torn out on the hose side - both of us).

Meanwhile, I think I'll start researching computers, and BCD service.

Thanks for the input!

If it still works and is in good shape, why change. Most of my gear is over 20 years old. I am on my second bcd since my first one "wore thru" and developed a bunch of pin hole leaks on the top of the shoulders. Second set of booties and about the 4th wetsuit. All other gear is original, including some real nice uwatec aladin pro's that I am currently replacing the batteries.

Hello all, my wife and I have been diving for over 10 years and all our gear is over 10 years old. So, I'm thinking about buying new stuff, but I like a lot of what I have and it's all still functional - for now.... I was just wondering what other's thoughts were on how long to hang on to gear? For example, I love my Zeagle Escape, which is no longer made, but how long would you feel safe using a BC?

Thanks,

As a dive shop, I'd like to say that you are in grave danger, and you should replace all your gear every 2 years...but that's just not the case. When you buy quality equipment and take good care of it, then it will give you years of reliable service.

Fill up your Zeagle BC and make sure it holds it's air. Also check to make sure the inflator, both power and oral inflate, is working properly. Consider having a trained service center do an inspection on it too. If you are holding on to old regulators too, I'd have those inspected too.

Now, if you are looking for an excuse to go buy new gear, I'm afraid that we might have ruined it for you! If so, you can totally disregard most of my message above, and just go with "you are in grave danger...replace your gear" :wink:

Have fun!

Back
Top Bottom