How long does a mask last?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dmpaq20

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I guess maybe I am looking to but get some new gear.

I have had this Deepsea mask for 3 years now. I replaced the original strap with a green nylon one. It looks and performs good and I have never had a problem with it. I was considering on buying a new one and using this as a backup. So I ask the question.

Thanks in advance, Dave

dmpaq20:
I guess maybe I am looking to but get some new gear.

I have had this Deepsea mask for 3 years now. I replaced the original strap with a green nylon one. It looks and performs good and I have never had a problem with it. I was considering on buying a new one and using this as a backup. So I ask the question.

Thanks in advance, Dave

Missed one point, I have some 50 dives on it

dmpaq20:
Missed one point, I have some 50 dives on it

I had about 100 on my last one and chose to get a new one when I went with prescription lenses. It was going strong and is now my back-up. It happens to be the same model so it's a nice transition if I ever need to use it.

I'm sure you'll get replies of many 100s of dives on a single mask.

Keep an eye on it, especially for splits in the skirt. When you think it's at risk make it your back-up or buy the new one and keep it in your dive bag until the old one gives up the ghost.

Pete

I've got over 500 dives on my mask. The skirt's getting a bit skanky, and I need to get a new one ... but I use prescription lenses (bifocals), and want to find another mask just like it ... that's taking some effort, as I don't remember what kind of mask it is (Mares or Cressi, I think).

Lesson learned ... next time, buy two or three of them, unless you want to replace the lenses too (and those are twice the price of the mask itself) ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

dmpaq20:
How long does a mask last?

About 1 week with me, by the end of the week a set of tanks has fell over on it, or someone sits on it. :D

I'm on my 3rd one this season.

I had one that lasted a day, (lost, with snorkel), another that has lasted 24 years. (US Divers Atlantis)

I had one that was about 15 yrs old. Never had a problem with it. Then, I lost it at millbrook quarry. Never knew what happened to it. I looked for it when I got home, and it was gone. Bummer. But, I am sure it would have lasted a lot longer.

They can last for a long time.... Buy you a new one and use the other one as a back up.... YOU DESERVER IT ............................ CLAY .......................

I have one that is at least 20 years old, another (Cressi Big Eyes) that broke after a year or so with a number of them in between. I do 200-400 dives a year so that gives you an idea of their use.

I had one about 13-14 years. I replaced it because the skirt was getting stiff and didn't seal as well. Took me awhile to figure out why it was leaking.

Back
Top Bottom