How long do tanks last?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Low pressure steels if kept safe from rust and gross foverfills seem to last forever as mentioned.

Aluminums do have some fall out and older ones can get a bad rap.

I think the wild card is how the newer HP cylinders will do 3 or 4 hydros down the road.

Pete

XS Scuba:
The Limited Cylinders, manufactured by Luxfer are the only composite cylinders with a DOT exemption for scuba use. These cylinders require retesting by hydro every 3 years (not 5) and after 15 years these cylinders are to be removed from service. These have a working pressure of 4350 psi (not 4500). You can find more information at this link (part number ALW106) http://xsscuba.com/tank_alum_specs.html

The fiber cylinders being discussed were SCBA and Paintball which have a 5 year hydro on the newer ones not the Luxfer Scuba Cylinders . I'm yet to figure out why anybody would want a fiber wrapped Scuba Cylinder - 2 extra hydros, you can't get them filled full at most shops, and the spec's aren't all that great.

BTW, Spectre - sorry to sound snippy I didn't intend it that way.

Dave

Thanks to all who replied... I have a AL80 that was new in 1999. I took it to a lDS and the guy said these only last 8 to 10 years but of course he was very willing to sell me a new one on the spot.. I'll just find a different shop to get it tested.
Thanks again for your help
Scubaboard Rocks!!!!!!!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom