How long do I need to photograph the Manta's?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ardy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Hi All - Had a wonderful trip to Bali last September and going back for 10 days in March. I plan to spend most of my time in Tulamben upgrading the photo's I took in September and looking for new stuff.

I have seen Manta's on several occasions but never photographed them in clear water and thought it would be nice to get some decent shots. I am hoping that I can do that at Manta Point - Nusa Penida - Is 2 days enough or should I plan on 3 days? I understand it all depends on weather and seas but if the seas are kind is 2 days enough? I am planning to stay at Pondok Baruna and dive with World Diving.

The reason I ask is that I want to maximise my time in Tulamben and have little interest in Mola Mola as I saw plenty of them when I was young in Sydney and frankly I don't think they are that photogenic. Also I am going to be there during a religious holiday and lose one days diving there.

regards and happy new year to all.

We dove with World Diving for the Mola Mola.

I would always stay longer. 3 days!

I would definitely agree that you need more time than 2 days, but you only have 10 days in all so it is difficult. :confused:We spent three nights in June ( also with World Diving) and on the first diving day the boat did not go to Manta Point as the seas were too rough , but the sites we did go to were wonderful. On the second diving day we went and saw one manta in the distance. We were overjoyed with this , but the guides seemed disappointed. We also saw Mola Mola for the first time. We also loved the island itself , but that's a personal thing. Tulamben is fantastic !:D:D

Hi Tippy and Beaver - Will take your advice and stay the 3 days. Friends of mine dived down there to see the Mola Mola and thought it was not as good as Tulamben and bloody cold in September, but there again we are macro lovers so it is different I guess. I can fart around with photo's and stuff can happen that I don't plan on so 3 days should allow me a couple of times to get it right!

Thanks for your input.

Although we have Manta all year around, the visibility can be affected in the rainy season. We've had really green water just recently at Manta Point, still getting the Manta but not idea for photography!

Ardy Your mates from Sydney claim its cold in Sept? Bet they dont dive much around Sydney then... :lol2: 17C is not cold, just pleasant
:alien: Around here 14C in Sept is considered slightly nippy.

Seriously what you need is to go to Maldives and experience a Manta cleaning station. Manta Point can be surgey in shallow water. But imagine 15m depth, sand bottom next to a rocky outcrop, warm 28C clear 30m vis water and 4-5 Mantas hovering for 50-60min. You have lots of time and space to photograph them. :D

Here's an old shot I took on my trusty Olympus P&S back then. Cant believe its been nearly 2 years since. Have to go back there again. Anyhow enjoy your trip to Nusa Penida. Theres some great diving there even if youre not keen on the Molas.

P31708002-C1.jpg

Ardy Your mates from Sydney claim its cold in Sept? Bet they dont dive much around Sydney then... :lol2: 17C is not cold, just pleasant
:alien: Around here 14C in Sept is considered slightly nippy.

Seriously what you need is to go to Maldives and experience a Manta cleaning station. Manta Point can be surgey in shallow water. But imagine 15m depth, sand bottom next to a rocky outcrop, warm 28C clear 30m vis water and 4-5 Mantas hovering for 50-60min. You have lots of time and space to photograph them. :D

Here's an old shot I took on my trusty Olympus P&S back then. Cant believe its been nearly 2 years since. Have to go back there again. Anyhow enjoy your trip to Nusa Penida. Theres some great diving there even if youre not keen on the Molas.

P31708002-C1.jpg

Gee - Went to the Maldives about 4 years ago and was not told that manta's were on the menu. Kicking myself for not asking the question but I blame U - why didn't you write 4 years ago?

Although we have Manta all year around, the visibility can be affected in the rainy season. We've had really green water just recently at Manta Point, still getting the Manta but not idea for photography!

AbsoluteAmanda - you have 8 weeks to clean it up.

Will drop you a note a week before I come if that is OK with you?

regards

AbsoluteAmanda - you have 8 weeks to clean it up.

Will drop you a note a week before I come if that is OK with you?

regards

Actually, recent reports are of crystal clear water in Manta Point, so finger's crossed for a brilliant encounter :D

Haha Ardy, not sure what it was like 4 years ago mate but you were prob diving with the wrong mob in the Maldives. I think we saw about 7 Mantas in a week! On separate dives as well. :D

Back
Top Bottom