How Is This Light?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If it's bright enough during the day, it will be plenty bright at night.

My GAS keeps compelling me to buy a 3 LED can light, but so far I have resisted. My DGX 600 lights have never left me wishing for a brighter light or a longer burn time.

Been running the DRIS 1000 for a couple years now. Very happy with it. Get compliments on the output. Full night dives are good as well as those day dives that just need a little extra light. I just run name brand C-cells. I need to do a real run time test sometime, but I get multiple weekends worth of diving on a single set of batteries. I only found this thread because I was looking for a good backup to this one. My old primary (dating back to the turn of the century) is completely worthless compared to the new stuff on the market. Now looking for a good backup to replace the backup that was the old primary. These new lights are just amazing.

Been running the DRIS 1000 for a couple years now. Very happy with it. Get compliments on the output. Full night dives are good as well as those day dives that just need a little extra light. I just run name brand C-cells. I need to do a real run time test sometime, but I get multiple weekends worth of diving on a single set of batteries. I only found this thread because I was looking for a good backup to this one. My old primary (dating back to the turn of the century) is completely worthless compared to the new stuff on the market. Now looking for a good backup to replace the backup that was the old primary. These new lights are just amazing.

Look at the DGX600 for your backup light. It is small and handy and puts out a lot of light.

On recommendation of tbone1004, I ordered one of these yesterday:

SecurityIng Waterproof 1000Lm XM-L2 U2-1A LED IP68 Diving Flashlight 250M Lighting Distance Maximum 150 Meters Underwater Distance with Magnetic Switch (Without Battery) - - Amazon.com

It's basically the same specs as the DGX 600. Same LED emitter. Same battery. So, same basic size.

But, this light has a push button on/off on the butt and it has 3 brightness settings plus strobe.

And it's only $33, but does not come with any batteries or a charger.

I really like the DGX 600. But, one-handed on/off would be nice and multiple brightness levels, allowing for much longer run-time would also be nice. Thus, I am looking forward to getting this new light!

I need to do a real run time test sometime, but I get multiple weekends worth of diving on a single set of batteries.

So, when you get in the water, how do you know (with a high degree of confidence) that your light will last the full dive? It seems like the only way you could do it would be to replace the C cells a lot sooner than is probably necessary. Say, after only 2 or 3 hours of use. That also seems like it would require a level of usage tracking that would be a pain in the butt. Do you log how long you actually used your light on each dive?

So, when you get in the water, how do you know (with a high degree of confidence) that your light will last the full dive? It seems like the only way you could do it would be to replace the C cells a lot sooner than is probably necessary. Say, after only 2 or 3 hours of use. That also seems like it would require a level of usage tracking that would be a pain in the butt. Do you log how long you actually used your light on each dive?

FWIW - When I'm NOT using my DGX600, I have the DRIS 3C cell torch. I generally us it for night dives. I use 3 each rechargeable C cells, that are NiMH and are 3000 mAh each. I don't have an actual burn time for you, but that combo easily gets through 2 night dives. I've set that light "in the bucket, just for fun", and it seems like the consistent burn time was like 3 to 5 hours ?

FWIW - When I'm NOT using my DGX600, I have the DRIS 3C cell torch. I generally us it for night dives. I use 3 each rechargeable C cells, that are NiMH and are 3000 mAh each. I don't have an actual burn time for you, but that combo easily gets through 2 night dives. I've set that light "in the bucket, just for fun", and it seems like the consistent burn time was like 3 to 5 hours ?

Ah. Yeah, if you're using rechargeables, then that sounds totally feasible. I was thinking in terms of constantly throwing away half spent alkaline C cells, just to be sure your light didn't die during a dive.

I think when I get this new SecurityIng light I will most likely run it on Medium (or maybe even Low) for night dives (possibly excepting a minute or two at a time on High, when needed). At that, I expect that it will last through 2 night dives on just one 3400mAh 18650.

I started looking for another light to fill the requirements of my AOW class.
My DGX600 should last longer than my dive but I don't want my light to die right at the end of the dive-I need to walk back to the truck or climb on the boat.
Is the DRIS light too heavy or bulky to use as a primary?
I am still considering another DGX light, either another 600 or an 800 although I am not seeing a huge benefit to the 800.

Is the DRIS light too heavy or bulky to use as a primary?
I am still considering another DGX light, either another 600 or an 800 although I am not seeing a huge benefit to the 800.
My initial thought was the DRIS was a bit heavy and large as my previous was a much smaller Dorcy . I got used to it quickly. I haven't used the DGX light in the water, but I have checked them out. I liked the size but the twist ring to turn it on/off was a deal killer for me. No idea how the output compares as I only played with one on land. I'd really recommend asking divers at your dive site to check out their lights and see how you like them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom