How is Fantasy Island BR? New owners?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jdiverhenley

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
We are heading down in a few days and wanted to know what to expect from FIBR?
We have never been to Roatan, so we are a little anxious about bugs and visibility.
Also have heard about some Dm's that are a little rough around the edges. Who is the best to dive with? Or is this a case of new divers just wanting their hands held, and being upset when its not done?

Thanks
Jason

Jason you should do a search. This has been covered many times. I was there in 2006 and things seem to not have changed much.

Rooms OK.
Dive boats OK
Resort not bad
Food OK (I found it sucked, but most found it OK)
DMs OK
Beach OK
Diving excellent
Unlimited shore diving excellent
Overall a good experience.
Value for the money, incredible!

In my experience, the DMs are not really DMs. They are dive guides there to find cool critters and show you around. Make sure you have a good buddy. Only depend on the DM to find you critters. Not for much else. OH, and make sure to check your Nitrox if you take that package.

When I went the vis was 60' to 90' about. Not awesome, but good enough! The small macro critters are awesome and thats what to look out for. The shore diving is great for night dives! Just make sure you dive it once during the day then night dive away!

Fantasy isn't the best dive Op there. But the dive sites are great and the value is amazing. You should have a great time!

Cheers!

OH I forgot about the bugs! In October there wasn't a mosquito to be seen... But the beach has sand flies. They aren't a problem if you avoid the beach. But if it's nice out, the beach is nice to lie on between dives or after lunch. Just bring some DEET based insect repellent and use some each time you go to the beach.

Thanks for the info.
I did do a lot of research before we booked, but I was just looking for input since the new owners took over.

Also I was wondering what the best time of year is to see Whale Sharks? or are they around all year long. Have any of you seen them and if so when?
Thanks for the info.

8 days and counting
J

J don't count on seing whale sharks on the south side of Roatan. or big pelagics for that matter. That's not their habitat. We are talking about relatively shallow warm water here. Great for juveniles of all sorts and small macro critters! If you do see one, buy yourself a lotery ticket!:popcorn::popcorn:

If you want chances of whale sharks, you need to head to Utila.

Whales is another thing. While I was there we spotted some pilot whales. Unfortunately they were headed in the other direction so we were unable to snorkel with them. But it could have happened!:eyebrow:

Cheers!

Thanks for the info.
I did do a lot of research before we booked, but I was just looking for input since the new owners took over.

Also I was wondering what the best time of year is to see Whale Sharks? or are they around all year long. Have any of you seen them and if so when?
Thanks for the info.

8 days and counting
J

We are heading down in a few days and wanted to know what to expect from FIBR?
We have never been to Roatan, so we are a little anxious about bugs and visibility.
Also have heard about some Dm's that are a little rough around the edges. Who is the best to dive with? Or is this a case of new divers just wanting their hands held, and being upset when its not done?

Thanks
Jason
Hi Jason -

We were there a couple of weeks after the management change in December. We could tell it was an emotional time for the employees who had been there for a long time. (There has been quite a bit of turnover.) I expect that by May things will have smoothed out.

It seemed to me that the changes being made could actually be quite positive for the resort. Things were great at the dive shop. You hear lots of different comments. We have been to F.I. four times in the past year and a half and absolutely love the dive operation there. The divemasters are there to support you...not to control or baby you. You should request Daren or Derry...they're awesome!

I've been to FIBR 2 times and enjoyed myself both times and plan to go again next winter.

My room has always been good, enjoyed the buffet and from the first time to the 2nd time (about 5 years) I really saw the reef and animal life improve !

DM - if Darren is still there - try to go on his boat, especially if Moses is the driver.

NAIBDiver1

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom