How is Blue Hole looking?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jason was out there this last weekend. Jason? Hows does it look?

DD, how were your dives in Coz?

We were just there last week on a Disney cruise and did a three tank set with Blue XT Sea. Awesome water!! You could see the sand on one of the sites; San Fransisco reef, but the dives were great. Got some shots of a Splendid Toad fish!! woohoo!!

I should ask you how yours were!

Mine were fantastic! We did 14 dives. From Maricaibo to Paradise, and even 2 over near Playa del Carmen, where we saw 51 very big sea turtles and a school of about 40 Tarpon averaging 6 to 8 feet in length.

We dove with Blue XT Sea, had very small groups (3 to 6 divers) and averaged 60 to 75 minutes per dive depending on depth.

The weather was great! One day was windy, and we dove the C-53 wreck, and Las Palmas wall, and that was a great day! The rest of the time, seas were calm and the water was clear. Classic Cozumel diving.

We took a day off from diving and rented a jeep, toured around, sampled the delights of the island. As you saw there is hurricane damage, but life keeps moving along. It was my 8th trip down there, and it may have been my favorite!

We are up in Crested Butte for the summer, and hoping to put the camper on the truck and swing down through Santa Rosa and Sante Fe. If its all mucked up, we may go somewhere else!

Hey kevin, glad to hear you had a great time on the cruise.

We did go out last weekend, there is a TON of equipment, dwarfs what was there for the other project I saw. Almost all of the area around the hole was closed, with just a very small walkway next to the Stella's open to get around to the entrance. Jennie was out there on Saturday and the viz was about 4-5 feet.. We decided to go Sunday anyway and were rewarded with no crowds and great viz. So the stuff that was stirred up on friday was almost completely gone by sunday. But, that has alot to do with the fact that almost no one was there on Saturday. Jennie was out there with a very small open water class and ther were not many others out diving that day. Also, they were just getting started on Thursday and Friday, so that had not really started the "big" work yet. We might try again this weekend too and see how it is.
If it gets busy it will be very difficult, with such a small area left open.

EDIT - Sorry, forgot to answer, Yes it is only open on the weekends. Stella was not there for fills but we did call her and she came to do some fills for a few people in our group.

A few of the local divers went out to Blue Hole yesterday and was told since the Corp folks had some set backs (with one of them getting bent) that they were planning on working through next weekend. Which means the hole will be closed from today until Jun 24th.

Hopefully, this won't hurt anybody if they know about it up front. The divers reported that the viz was terrible anyway.......:shakehead

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom