how important are dive knives and tools?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For the little space they take up and weight they add,well worth having, even if you never need them.I like to carry 3 one small titanium knife on the waste left of qr buckle and a z knife on the left and right shoulder straps.I even carry a pair of stainless surgical wire cutters in a pocket .Maybe overkill ,but you never know when you might need them.

I carry a knife, a Z knife and a pair of EMT shears. Yes, I've used them all. Our dive sites tend to be fishing sites. It's not a question of if you get entangled, it's when. At least one tool is reachable by each hand.

I cut myself free on my last dives, on june 12th.
what is a Z knife or Line cutter ?....

Deepoutdoors Line Cutter - $22.99 : Tech Diving Limited

Cutting Tools - Dive Gear Express

I came across these in my friends parachuting magazine ... Shop ParaGear.com!
I've seen the Benchmade ones posted here before, but the Mystic and the Gereber are new to me ... Like the looks of the Gerber and the Benchmade 7 for use with coldwater gear

Knives and shears are needed safety devices. Aqua-Andy has it right. When you dive wrecks, carry multiple knives. You WILL drop your knife when you get caught in mono. It's very hard to see, or invisible. Your heart will beat harder when it happens. Two cutting tools , I believe at a minimum.

When I dive in our local quarry, I just have my small TI knife. The sheath is tie wrapped to my HP hose. There is no fishing allowed there, so chances of mono there are slim. But, when you dive offshore, I have one on each leg, and the one on my hose. When I spearfish, I also carry a wristmount Riffe knife, to dispatch my catch. So, I carry up to four, based on what I am doing.

I know the mono is on the reefs, so I still think it's needed. But when you wreck dive, multiple knives are a must. Don't forget, it's a Wreck Site. That means fishermen who cut or break their lines, and divers who clean up their mess. To all who have cleaned up mono underwater, thanks. Lives have been saved since you do this.

Buy your knives and shears. They are as much as a part of diving as your other gear. Be safe.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom