How i ruined my brand new 2K Bare drysuit..wondering if i can salvage it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

50/50 mix of water and conditioner in a spray bottle. Lube neck/wrist seals with it before putting on. Works really well for me.
That is what I use, I also spray a little on my wrists before I take the suit off.

50/50 mix of water and conditioner in a spray bottle. Lube neck/wrist seals with it before putting on. Works really well for me.

I use about 1:10 mix of baby shampoo and water in a mist bottle. Mist a little inside the seals before sliding on or mist hands just before taking the drysuit off. Hands just slip right through and they are clean!

The reason I cannot have kubis mounted to the suit is because the rings are too big to go inside the suit, I had Hammond drysuits in the UK attempt to do it and they said there is no way possible without cutting up into the arms of the suit. They are very highly regarded for suit alterations and definitely know their stuff.

The manager there said it would be possible but would be very expensive and would ruin the suit, the work around was to use the rings I have that are the perfect size to slot into my suit

I was also going to get them to install a sitech orust system but again they said the warm collar fabric that sits around the neck seal would have to be removed and not reattached as it was smaller than the orust ring and would essentially ruin the aesthetics of the brand new suit I had bought, I'm not too bothered about that as the neoprene seals are comfortable but wish I knew about the glove situation as I probably would have got a d1x instead, I may still just switch over to one of those but don't like the idea of the increased buoyancy

I winced when I saw the title. Glad it was just a minor issue of how to upgrade to a workable dry glove system. Lots of good suggestions here, good luck!

Lots of solutions offered but everyone seems to have missed the point I'm trying to make, I want to try and use Kubis or WP Ultimas (the two dryglove systems I already own!) along with the seal system I already have as these two systems kubi/WP Ultima have proved to be the least likely to leak. I'm happy with them just really want the added protection of having the seal incase a catastrophic leak breaks out and I'm at 30 meters or so on a single tank in freezing British inland dive site / quarry conditions

If I could find some longer seals to put onto my suit then I think that would be an easy solution for me, but I am yet to find them

Lots of solutions offered but everyone seems to have missed the point I'm trying to make, I want to try and use Kubis or WP Ultimas (the two dryglove systems I already own!) along with the seal system I already have as these two systems kubi/WP Ultima have proved to be the least likely to leak. I'm happy with them just really want the added protection of having the seal incase a catastrophic leak breaks out and I'm at 30 meters or so on a single tank in freezing British inland dive site / quarry conditions

If I could find some longer seals to put onto my suit then I think that would be an easy solution for me, but I am yet to find them

I don't think anyone has missed your point at all. The forum is just offering you sensible solutions. Take a look at what you are asking and stating what you want to do:

1. You have a cuff/seal system that provides the means to use replaceable wrist seals and is designed to integrate with drygloves.

2. You want to add a seal to then add another cuff/glove system on top of that.

3. You want a suggestion for a longer wrist seal but have not provided dimensions of what you have compared to what you want....a simple google search for "latex extralong wrist seal" turns this up, perhaps it will work for you:
Bare Latex Conical Wrist Seal HD, Scubastore

or this :
Extralong conical Latex Seals - Deepstop GmbH

or perhaps this:
Latex arm seal extra long, conical / pair, 21,20 €

I have not used the Kubis but my wife and I have used the Si-tech Glove Lock and its derivative the Si-Tech Virgo as well as the Waterproof Ultima DGS....From our experience, the Si-Tech Glove Lock and Virgo are every bit as dry as the Waterproof Ultima...the Glove Lock and Virgo are just bulkier systems compared to the WP Ultimas....but that does not seem to be an issue for you given you are ready to stack a system on top of another.

I just checked the gluing guide (attached to this post) for the Si-Tech PU rings (the base of their systems)....the diameter of the PU rings for for the QCS oval system is slightly tapered at 320mm at its narrowest and 323 at its widest points. The Quick Cuff PU rings that you have are designed to be glued in different ways depending on the size of the sleeve of your suit but for gluing inside the sleeve there is a section that tapers from 305mm to 310mm.

upload_2020-10-24_11-16-33.png

If you are deadset on a system like the WP Ultimas then you should have the PU ring from the QCS oval system test fitted and if it will work then have them glued in....you will not need to buy the complete system, just the PU rings....the Ultimas have a rigid wring that will replaces the one from the complete QCS oval system...then mount your seal of choice and you have a proper wrist seal system with ability to use one of the glove systems you want.....instead of a bodge.

BTW, there is nothing wrong with altering the sleeve to work with Kubis...sure it will add to the installation cost but it can and has been done...just find a competent shop to do the work if you go that route.

What you have suggested doing, the bodge of connecting one system to another, is also doable, but it is a bodge, is bulky, and is not nearly the best solution given what is available on the market today.

But a bodge will work so if that is what you want to do then go for it. Just realize that in the long-term the cheaper bodge solution may prove to be more expensive.

-Z

Attachments

• gluing-guide-qcs-oval-and-quick-cuff.pdf
    2.9 MB · Views: 81
I don't think anyone has missed your point at all. The forum is just offering you sensible solutions. Take a look at what you are asking and stating what you want to do:

1. You have a cuff/seal system that provides the means to use replaceable wrist seals and is designed to integrate with drygloves.

2. You want to add a seal to then add another cuff/glove system on top of that.

3. You want a suggestion for a longer wrist seal but have not provided dimensions of what you have compared to what you want....a simple google search for "latex extralong wrist seal" turns this up, perhaps it will work for you:
Bare Latex Conical Wrist Seal HD, Scubastore

or this :
Extralong conical Latex Seals - Deepstop GmbH

or perhaps this:
Latex arm seal extra long, conical / pair, 21,20 €

I have not used the Kubis but my wife and I have used the Si-tech Glove Lock and its derivative the Si-Tech Virgo as well as the Waterproof Ultima DGS....From our experience, the Si-Tech Glove Lock and Virgo are every bit as dry as the Waterproof Ultima...the Glove Lock and Virgo are just bulkier systems compared to the WP Ultimas....but that does not seem to be an issue for you given you are ready to stack a system on top of another.

I just checked the gluing guide (attached to this post) for the Si-Tech PU rings (the base of their systems)....the diameter of the PU rings for for the QCS oval system is slightly tapered at 320mm at its narrowest and 320 at its widest points. The Quick Cuff PU rings that you have are designed to be glued in different ways depending on the size of the sleeve of your suit but for gluing inside the sleeve there is a section that tapers from 305mm to 310mm.

View attachment 619886

If you are deadset on a system like the WP Ultimas then you should have the PU ring from the QCS oval system test fitted and if it will work then have them glued in....you will not need to buy the complete system, just the PU rings....the Ultimas have a rigid wring that will replaces the one from the complete QCS oval system...then mount your seal of choice and you have a proper wrist seal system with ability to use one of the glove systems you want.....instead of a bodge.

BTW, there is nothing wrong with altering the sleeve to work with Kubis...sure it will add to the installation cost but it can and has been done...just find a competent shop to do the work if you go that route.

What you have suggested doing, the bodge of connecting one system to another, is also doable, but it is a bodge, is bulky, and is not nearly the best solution given what is available on the market today.

But a bodge will work so if that is what you want to do then go for it. Just realized that in the long-term the cheaper bodge solution may prove to be more expensive.

-Z

you definitely didn't miss the point maybe i worded that came across wrong, just wasn't the answers i was looking for. I think you have covered just about any option i may have possible, many thanks for your detailed response! I have decided i'm going to use the suit as it is with the kubis on the end / no seal and try to see about getting the extra long latex seals fitted once the silicone ones give way, it is nice not having to bother with the wrist seals when sliding the suit on.
If the extra long latex seals do not work then i will investigate how hard it would be to swap these rounded PU rings that i have out for the oval ones to use WP ultimas and if neither one of these solutions work, then i may just have the rings removed again for good old latex seals and put the kubis over them as i did originally when i bought the suit

The sitech glovelock compared to either the rolock 3 or rolock 90 is like a yugo to a mercedes. A most troubling design characteristic of the sitech glovelock is the way the oring seals and the way the mating surface is easily scored.

Rather than removing and replacing the round cuffs for the oval one, you have nothing to lose by trying the rolock 3 modification. If you blow it, you would be removing the cuff anyway.

if you did replace the round cuffs with the oval cuffs, you could just use the rolock 90 rather than the ultima system.

I went from:

Sitech quick glove to sitech glovelock to ultima to rolock and have been happy ever since.

The original rolock 3 mounting system is a joke, but either the rolock 3 modification or the rolock 90 is great.

I'm so happy you've put me onto the rolock 90 divezonescuba I didn't know much about glove systems
but I'm so depressed about the outcome of the thread, and don't use silicone lube for anything use a water based lube like a commercial affordable KY gel type stuff if you have any experience with this

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom