How heavy are 1 kg weights really

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

h90

Contributor
Reaction score
After felling like an idiot a few times, being under or over weighted with the exact same weight I used before I started to check.
I borrowed 2 normal 1kg lead weights from 2 dive centers and put it on my digital scale and one had 820 gram and one 1100
So 5 kg are either 4 kg or 5.5 considering that there aren't any more extreme. I have the feeling that there smaller 1 kg weights around as well.

Are that imperial weights? Or just bad molded?

1kg=2.2lbs.

Bad moulds (sp?) I guess - 1kg =1kg really (little variation over temperature or salt content of the water :) ).

I would not be surprised to see a difference in weight but 180g on a kilo seems like a bit much, I would expect the 5 kilo to be within a 100g.

Are the weights "home made" or factory made, as in some guy down the street making a lot for sale as opposed to an outfit like Sea Pearls, it can make a difference in consistency. The molds do not make as much difference as putting the same amount of lead in each time, trust me it is not as easy as it sounds.

In addition what scale are you using and what is the accuracy? If the scale is good bring it with you, buy weights that are over and shave off the excess.

The bright side is, if you used those two weights you are only off 80g for 2Kg.

Bob
-----------------------------
There is no problem that can't be solved with a liberal application of sex, tequila, money, duct tape, or high explosives, not necessarily in that order.

1kg=2.2lbs.

Bad moulds (sp?) I guess - 1kg =1kg really (little variation over temperature or salt content of the water :) ).
:))
seems I need to buy my own weights :)))

Last time I used the same weight as always and had to borrow 1 kg?? from the Dive Leader, he must have thought I am a complete idiot.....:D

I would not be surprised to see a difference in weight but 180g on a kilo seems like a bit much, I would expect the 5 kilo to be within a 100g.

Are the weights "home made" or factory made, as in some guy down the street making a lot for sale as opposed to an outfit like Sea Pearls, it can make a difference in consistency. The molds do not make as much difference as putting the same amount of lead in each time, trust me it is not as easy as it sounds.

In addition what scale are you using and what is the accuracy? If the scale is good bring it with you, buy weights that are over and shave off the excess.

The bright side is, if you used those two weights you are only off 80g for 2Kg.

Bob
-----------------------------
There is no problem that can't be solved with a liberal application of sex, tequila, money, duct tape, or high explosives, not necessarily in that order.

that 2 weights are from 2 different DC in Thailand I was going with. I forgot them in my BCD and need to give them back next time I go with them. No idea in which backyard they bought them.
I anyway buy a tank and compressor so I'll also buy weights.....
First I thought they aren't kg, maybe 2 pounds but that also doesn't fit.

Edit: anyway no problem in tropical diving....just 1 kg over or underweight....

Having in mind that you are based in Thailand, the most common weights around here are advertised as 0.9kg and 1.5kg. To my knowledge they are made on site of the company that sells them and variations in weight could be either by accident or intentional. No dive shop I have ever worked for actually put their weights on a scale to check the actual weight, so it's mostly a matter of a guess. Sometimes however Dive Guides do tell people that the weights are 1kg, when they know they are closer to 800g (open secret), just because of the tendency of some (freshwater) divers to hopelessly overweight themselves. If you have ever witnessed a diver with about 70kg and a 5mm suit asking if he should take 12 or 14kg and see the reaction when you tell him that you think with a new suit he should most likely not need more than 6 - 8, pieces (800g) you know what I mean. Usually they do get told to conduct a buoyancy check to be sure anyway.

Such a discrepancy in the quality of recreational substances:crazyeye:may be detrimental to the supplier with untrimmed divers worldwide spiralling into the abyss.

Having in mind that you are based in Thailand, the most common weights around here are advertised as 0.9kg and 1.5kg. To my knowledge they are made on site of the company that sells them and variations in weight could be either by accident or intentional. No dive shop I have ever worked for actually put their weights on a scale to check the actual weight, so it's mostly a matter of a guess. Sometimes however Dive Guides do tell people that the weights are 1kg, when they know they are closer to 800g (open secret), just because of the tendency of some (freshwater) divers to hopelessly overweight themselves. If you have ever witnessed a diver with about 70kg and a 5mm suit asking if he should take 12 or 14kg and see the reaction when you tell him that you think with a new suit he should most likely not need more than 6 - 8, pieces (800g) you know what I mean. Usually they do get told to conduct a buoyancy check to be sure anyway.

YES I remember more than one........"Diving with this buddy accounts as the first Rescue Diver scenario" one Instructor told me a long time ago seeing the weights on my instant buddy :shocked2:
(He explained him, that he need 15 kg, else it is so difficult to go decent :confused:)
No need to explain that he dive 45 degree and need one Thai to hold him all the time as he filled and emptied his bcd all the time. PADI OW certified in Thailand....

I have a 100 stories about diving in Thailand no one would ever believe....

After felling like an idiot a few times, being under or over weighted with the exact same weight I used before I started to check.
I borrowed 2 normal 1kg lead weights from 2 dive centers and put it on my digital scale and one had 820 gram and one 1100
So 5 kg are either 4 kg or 5.5 considering that there aren't any more extreme. I have the feeling that there smaller 1 kg weights around as well.

Are that imperial weights? Or just bad molded?

I tried the same thing with imperial weights (2, 3, and 4 lbs) and got similar results: The weights differed 0 to 20% from their marked weight, mostly on the light side. I checked this using a couple of different scales. I think that mine were badly molded--they look pretty rough.

I tried the same thing with imperial weights (2, 3, and 4 lbs) and got similar results: The weights differed 0 to 20% from their marked weight, mostly on the light side. I checked this using a couple of different scales. I think that mine were badly molded--they look pretty rough.

that's interesting! I thought that is a Thailand thing.....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom