How "frequent" are shell drysuit leaks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gombessa

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Having a leaky drysuits sounds like a situation you hear a lot about when it happens, but little to nothing about when everything works as it should.

Assuming no abuse or crazy razorblade wreck dives, is there any kind of average or expectation of time for drysuit integrity before some problem occurs, whether glue/seam fails, small puncture, whatever?

I know this is a :shakehead: question because situations differ and accidents can happen anytime, but I imagine problems would be more frequent if the suits were made of saran wrap, and less frequent if they were all single-piece 1" thick rubber and kevlar. So basically, if you're fairly careful with your suit, how long between repairs would you expect to go (or be minimally happy with)?

To the best of my knowledge there is no average. It is totally dependent on usage, type, construction, manufacturer, etc. I have one friend who has the same suit I have. For about the same amount of time. Absolutley no issues with his in 3 yrs. Mine unluckily was one of a group with a bad glue batch. Had all seals replaced after 1 1/2 yrs. Manufacturer did it at no cost to me other than shipping to them. Since then I've put close to 30 some dives in water from 70-39 degrees with no issues.

I agree with Jim... way too many variables for there to be any sort of reasonable average... it's pretty much luck. I've never had a leak with either of my drysuits (old USIA, new DUI CLX450), but I know people who have had miserable times with theirs... and others that, like me, have had no problems.

A new suit should not leak, and should stay leak free for a semi-reasonable amount of time (I'd say at LEAST a couple of years), and if they did, any leaks should be covered under warranty. But there is a whole range of issues, such as rips, tears and spikey sea urchins that can really get you wet sooner. :wink:

without looking through my log book (and I don't log all practice dives anyhow) I would guess I have about 60 dives in my drysuit. The first time I had a leak, it was because I didn't zip it closed all the way. The second time it leaked was because my wrist seal wasn't sealed (forgot to check it) got out and fixed it in about 2 minutes. 3rd and 4th times it leaked were more like floods than leaks and both were my fault, I was rushing, 3rd in a GUE Fundies class, fourth time was hurrying up to get in the water with a bunch of friends one week later. So even though every leak was due to user error, its still less than 10% failure rate.

Too many variables. Quality of build, how well the seams are sealed and the main source of leak are the seals either through user error (folding etc) or just wearing out or not fitting properly.

I know people that have never had a leak in their suits. However my Northern Diver pile of s**t tea bag leaks guaranteed on 100% of dives.

I've had a rubber Viking suit and a Gates Pro am suit. Done approx 100 dives in the Viking and 50 in the Gates suit.

The only area which ever had a small leak was the boots, from walking over oyster banks.
Some suits have much more robust boots than others. For example the Gates suit has much tougher boots.

Good news is these suits are very easy to repair using a bicycle tire repair kit.

For the rest very much depends on your buoyancy control skills and taking care when diving ship wrecks with sharp ragged edges.

I also had a neoprene srysuit for a short while, but sold it very quickly.
Compared to the incovenience of the excessive buoyancy of neoprene drysuits, with all the extra weight I had to add, I'll take the shell suit any time, but I have to admit I haven't tried the latest compressed neoprene suits yet.

I've got two shell suits and a compressed neo suit. One shell suit has been plagued with leaks; it came with a leak in the crotch seam which no one has ever been able to find and permanently fix (you should SEE the layers of Aquaseal I've applied over the last three years!) One shell suit (my Fusion) has somewhere between 75 and 100 dives on it now, with NO leaks. My compressed neo suit has a couple hundred dives on it with no leaks.

I don't lobster or do photography where I have to brace myself against structure; I have worn the two shell suits in caves in Florida, which is a contact sport.

My DUI shell suits went for hundreds of shore dives between minor leaks, and those three situations were only related to normal wear and tear, not manufacturing defects.

Dave C

36 dives in my USIA Aqua Deluxe, and I've got a boot seam coming apart. They'll fix it, but I've got a trip coming in less than a week, so I'll be taking some duct tape with me!

100+ dives in my DUI CF200 and no major leaks so far. When i was doing photography, mostly shipwrecks, i experienced some small leaks here and there simply because i was bracing myself on rusty metal. thirteen hole patches later, yes 13, the suit still works great.

Back
Top Bottom