How does getting "bent" feel?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

John C. Ratliff:
That's not quite true. We had a pretty in-depth discussion of dysbarism-related osteonecrosis (asceptic bone necrosis) on a different thread under "Ask Dr. Decompression" some time age:

http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=96586

SeaRat

Thanks. I've pulled this link to an interesting article from that thread.
Aseptic bone necrosis in an amateur scuba diver
http://bjsm.bmjjournals.com/cgi/content/full/38/5/e19)

I recall that fascinating news last year about the whales suffering DCS, which was believed not to strike them.

My CNS hit was painless.

I had extreme (read: extreme) fatigue. Not, gee, I'm really wiped out, or, I got the flu or something. I mean, I did not have the energy or motivation to pick up my tooth brush to brush my teeth. It took me a while to figure out exactly how you go about washing your hair.

I was very nauseous. I failed the neurological exam. I couldn't close my eyes without tilting over.

Otherwise, I felt pretty good. :D

Now I'm starting to freak out. Rick, did you go into the chamber? How'd you get over it?

Rick Inman:
I had extreme (read: extreme) fatigue.
That rings a bell.

I was already familiar with the usual physical fatigue after a days diving, but recently after a dive to 55 meters (my deepest fo far) I practically slept around the clock. Didn't think to ask the diving physician whom I shared a hotel room with to examine me. But then again, she didn't raise the alarm either.

Otherwise, I felt pretty good. :D
Nitrogen narcosis, mmmm. Gimme more :wink:

One other thing I forgot:

I had a very hard time with simple math after the dive. We were doing our logs and it was incredibly difficult for me to figure out the dive's duration. I just couldn't make it work.

surlytart:
One other thing I forgot:

I had a very hard time with simple math after the dive. We were doing our logs and it was incredibly difficult for me to figure out the dive's duration. I just couldn't make it work.
Ah, so that's why we calculate the duration! The diver's equivalent to reciting the alphabet backwards :)

Papasmurf89:
Hi,

I was just curious how getting "bent" feels? I know that it is kind of like an aching pain but is it constant? I was just curious so that I know what to look for.

Thanks.

Not as good as being straight!

Papasmurf89:
Now I'm starting to freak out. Rick, did you go into the chamber? How'd you get over it?
Oh yes, I did a table six in the chamber. Enjoyed a couple of DVDs through the glass and came out good as new. No need to freak out. Diving does have it's risks, but they can be minimized by educating yourself (like you're doing in this thread) and applying that education to your diving.

Pretty sure I got hit 'cause I was dehydrated, exerted a bit and took a hot shower. So, I've made adjustments. I don't exert after the dive. I wait on the shower, or take a luke one, and I installed a pee valve in my drysuit so I'm now The Happily Hydrator.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom