How does getting "bent" feel?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Papasmurf89

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi,

I was just curious how getting "bent" feels? I know that it is kind of like an aching pain but is it constant? I was just curious so that I know what to look for.

Thanks.

Not all cases of the bends are the same but it ranges from minor itching to excruciating pain. There are lots of variables. I had the skin bends once, it made me very itchy and very tired.

Read "The Last Dive". Some folks find fault with some of the things Chowdhury says in the book about the Rouses and their death. That is neither here nor there on this thread.

The author of the book got good and bent and he gives a vivid description.

Having never been bent, I cannot attest to his accuracy. But he seems to be giving an honest and thorough description.

How it feels is variable and not reliable for diagnosis.

Much better is to do a 5 minute neurological exam to see if there is impairment.

pipedope:
How it feels is variable and not reliable for diagnosis.

Much better is to do a 5 minute neurological exam to see if there is impairment.

I'm no longer a medical professional, so is this exam something that anyone can do on the boat, if someone comes up and say that they're feeling like they might be bent? What are we looking for? Would equal bilateral range of motion, and sensation in all extremities be one such thing? What else?

Okay, thanks guys. I was just curious because one time I felt a little pain in my arm, kind of like after you work out and you're so tired it hurts a little. Anyways, I thought it was just because I was in fact tired so I didn't mention it. It eventually went away but was just thinking today, "What if I actually did get bent?". It's been like 4 months without any pain so I think I'm okay but I just want to know how to distinguish it from now on.

Thanks guys.

Papasmurf89:
Hi,

I was just curious how getting "bent" feels? I know that it is kind of like an aching pain but is it constant? I was just curious so that I know what to look for.

Thanks.
Decompression Illness: What Is It and What Is The Treatment?
Symptoms of DCS

- Unusual fatigue

- Skin itch

- Pain in joints and / or muscles of the arms, legs or torso

- Dizziness, vertigo, ringing in the ears

- Numbness, tingling and paralysis

- Shortness of breath

Signs of DCS

- Skin may show a blotchy rash

- Paralysis, muscle weakness

- Difficulty urinating

- Confusion, personality changes, bizarre behavior

- Amnesia, tremors

- Staggering

- Coughing up bloody, frothy sputum

- Collapse or unconsciousness

Note: Symptoms and signs usually appear within 15 minutes to 12 hours after surfacing; but in severe cases, symptoms may appear before surfacing or immediately afterwards. Delayed occurrence of symptoms is rare, but it does occur, especially if air travel follows diving.

Denial and Recognition

The most common manifestations of DCS are joint pain and numbness or tingling. Next most common are muscular weakness and inability to empty a full bladder. Severe DCS is easy to identify because the signs and symptoms are obvious. However, most DCS manifests subtly with a minor joint ache or a paresthesia (an abnormal sensation like burning, tingling or ticking) in an extremity.

In many cases these symptoms are ascribed to another cause such as overexertion, heavy lifting or even a tight wetsuit. This delays seeking help and is why it is often noted that the first symptom of DCS is denial. Sometimes these symptoms remain mild and go away by themselves, but many times they increase in severity until it is obvious to you that something is wrong and that you need help.

What happens if you don't seek treatment? In severe DCS, a permanent residual handicap may result: this can be a bladder dysfunction, sexual dysfunction or muscular weakness, to name a few.

http://www.diversalertnetwork.org/medical/articles/article.asp?articleid=65

I had an incredibly pathetic hit. My toes and the tops of my feet starting going numb and tingly. I would have ignored it for a long time had I not been studying for my diving physiology exam. Talk about dumb luck...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom